Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VCFRONT_a396 error code!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got up this morning and upon entering my 2022 M3 RWD I got this error code. There was also a large puddle of coolant on the garage floor. I initially thought it was water that had leaked into the garage from rain overnight. But upon inspection it prove to be coolant, The code says the car is drivable and I had to make a 2 mile drive to the local USPO and as I was returning it stated that max speed was limited to 60mph. The coolant is leaking from just behind the HV battery, between the rear motor. What is weird is that I last drove the car on Wednesday but the error code is dated early this morning. Anyways, I have the car scheduled to be towed to the Tucson SC tomorrow afternoon, which is ~150 miles away...

VCFRONT_a396.jpg

The error is likely triggered by the coolant level sensor. It was likely leaking for a bit, and reached the critical level this morning.

The limited its top speed to make sure the battery does not overheat given the low cooling level. If you absolutely must drive somewhere between now and tomorrow afternoon, you could top off the coolant level with proper coolant. You'll find whats needed on this forum.

Reactions: DuncanM
The error is likely triggered by the coolant level sensor. It was likely leaking for a bit, and reached the critical level this morning.

The limited its top speed to make sure the battery does not overheat given the low cooling level. If you absolutely must drive somewhere between now and tomorrow afternoon, you could top off the coolant level with proper coolant. You'll find whats needed on this forum.
There was no indications of any leakage prior to this morning and it's running out at quite a high rate, I am many miles away from an autoparts shop. I have a tow scheduled for 2pm tomorrow but it looks like I am going to be SOL in terms of a loaner because they won't be able to ascertain if it's a warranty issue, prior to the SC closing.

Did they state whether it was a warranty issue and did they give you a loaner?

@Icetouch has a thread on their experience that it appears they joined TMC to post. You can find it here:

Seems quite odd. Lots of people park their Model 3s outside. If those hoses were edible (for rodents), we'd hear about a ton of errors like this one.
Homeowners warranty may cover certain rodent damage. Seems worth a try.

Seems quite odd. Lots of people park their Model 3s outside. If those hoses were edible (for rodents), we'd hear about a ton of errors like this one.
Homeowners warranty may cover certain rodent damage. Seems worth a try.
We've had similar problems in the past (not with our M3) in our open carport in Ferndale WA, but not here (Portal AZ) in our garage.

Thankfully, my car insurance policy covers rodent damage. If you search the forum, you'll find a number of similar incidents...

Reactions: jjrandorin