Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Charging from Calgary or Banff to Yellowknife

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That certainly sounds like a tough trip!

This is not a personal recommendation, because I certainly have not traveled that route (and I suspect the number of people that have done that in an EV are very few!), but one tool I would use in this case is Plugshare's trip planner. This will allow you to set a route and it will show you charging stops along the way, and allow you to filter by nearby amenities, although for much of that trip, I am guessing you are going to have to take what you get. Looks like one particular challenge is from Slave Lake, AB to Fort Vermilion, AB, which looks to be 407km (249 miles). Even without elevation and weather to take into account, this is going to be pushing it in the Model 3. But even worse is that the two stations at either end of that gap are 100kW Flo CCS units which unless you've done the DIY upgrade to your 2018 to support CCS are not going to be helpful to you.

Possibly a more feasible option would be to divert (I guess it's not an awful diversion) through Peace River, AB and charge up at the ChargePoint L2 there, and then make your way to the Best Western Plus Mirage Hotel & Resort in High Level, AB, which has a Tesla destination charger and is a mere 300km between those points (and would probably make a decent overnight stopover point.

Past that point you will definitely be relying on no more than level 2 and outlets, and there are slim pickins' at that.

That certainly sounds like a tough trip!

This is not a personal recommendation, because I certainly have not traveled that route (and I suspect the number of people that have done that in an EV are very few!), but one tool I would use in this case is Plugshare's trip planner. This will allow you to set a route and it will show you charging stops along the way, and allow you to filter by nearby amenities, although for much of that trip, I am guessing you are going to have to take what you get. Looks like one particular challenge is from Slave Lake, AB to Fort Vermilion, AB, which looks to be 407km (249 miles). Even without elevation and weather to take into account, this is going to be pushing it in the Model 3. But even worse is that the two stations at either end of that gap are 100kW Flo CCS units which unless you've done the DIY upgrade to your 2018 to support CCS are not going to be helpful to you.

Possibly a more feasible option would be to divert (I guess it's not an awful diversion) through Peace River, AB and charge up at the ChargePoint L2 there, and then make your way to the Best Western Plus Mirage Hotel & Resort in High Level, AB, which has a Tesla destination charger and is a mere 300km between those points (and would probably make a decent overnight stopover point.

Past that point you will definitely be relying on no more than level 2 and outlets, and there are slim pickins' at that.
Thanks for Best Western in High Level, AB for Tesla destination charger!

I'll be interested to hear what you find out here.
A trip from USA to Yellowknife has been on my list for a while. We were planning to go there last week but the fires have clearly affected those plans. We'll probably wait until next year or the winter (not sure about that drive in winter).
Plugshare shows a few options but at least a couple of Level 2 and even a TT-30 charge will most likely be necessary until the NWT DCFCs get installed along the way.

We just left Yellowknife today after driving our Model Y up from Vancouver. There are a couple superchargers along the way from Edmonton and quite a few fast chargers. We used the PlugShare app to find all the chargers along the way. For the stretch from Hay River to Yellowknife, we drove 80km/h and turned the A/C off. We squeaked into town with 3% battery left! We worked on our technique a bit more and just rolled back into Hay River from Yellowknife with 11%! So we can get it up to around 500km range.

We’ve been sleeping in the back with “camp mode” and it’s been pretty comfortable. Nice to have a vacation where we didn’t have to pay for hotels or gas. Our only expense has been gas station pepperoni!

Everybody we’ve met along the way has been super nice. The charger maintained by KP Woodwright in Hay River has been a highlight. Run by the sweetest folks who let us use their bathroom, let us camp in their lot, and gave us lots of info. Without them, EV travel to Yellowknife from the south would be impossible. There are really doing so much to advance the cause in the NWT. We met the proprietors of Big Lake Cafe tonight and they offered to let us stay with them. The manager of the Ford dealership in Peace River gave us a ride into to town to do some sightseeing while our rig charged. Been blown away by the hospitality up north! You guys rock!

Found this on Reddit