Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Ground Clearance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the Model Y ground clearance actual spec is known, here's a chart I put together giving some (somewhat arbitrary) selected vehicle ground clearances. Note that many vehicles may have differing ground clearance specs, depending on model year, option packages, modifications, etc. Nevertheless, some very interesting (and some surprising) results...
GroundClearanceChart.jpg

Discussions about vehicle ground clearance and suitable roads
Now that the Model Y ground clearance actual spec is known, here's a chart I put together giving some (somewhat arbitrary) selected vehicle ground clearances. Note that many vehicles may have differing ground clearance specs, depending on model year, option packages, modifications, etc. Nevertheless, some very interesting (and some surprising) results...
View attachment 521795

Ground Clearance is 6.6 inches. I got this from another post
E69CEE3F-8547-4A07-A08D-D728D679E912.jpeg

One has to wonder how many Model Ys are going to India, and what determines the appropriate height for their roads. I’ve only spent time in Bengaluru, but found their roads to be on par with the majority of roads in the US. I wouldn’t have a problem driving a model 3 there.

• Funny
Reactions: Marvin
One has to wonder how many Model Ys are going to India, and what determines the appropriate height for their roads. I’ve only spent time in Bengaluru, but found their roads to be on par with the majority of roads in the US. I wouldn’t have a problem driving a model 3 there.
Zero models from Tesla are going to India. Too many barriers to enter that market. Indian govt will have to relax rules so that there is a pathway for Tesla to profitably sell cars. Tesla has been waiting many years for that to happen.

Reactions: Airgetlam
Top Indian Cars With Maximum Ground Clearance - Highest Ground Clearance Cars
I gotta wonder as well. But I found the number in an Indian car review site (not quite sure how I ended up there). I presume a large number of rural/semi rural Indian roads are rougher than North American urban standards, so that journal produced the 160mm criteria. Here's a another link that discusses this.

@Tessaract, I'm curious why you chose Indian Road Acceptable Clearance as a reference point in your chart. Was it because the Model Y just exceeds Indian clearance requirements?
No particular reason, and not tied to the Model Y specifically. Just a data point I found in my research that I thought was interesting. Also points to one reason some cars will not do well in India, while even some very cheap Indian cars have inordinately high ground clearance.