Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle may not restart. Power reduced. 2014 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this is a bummer. Car acceleration shut off while driving and the PRND went red. Was able to put it in park in put it back and drive as I was less than a mile from home. I was able to get back home and have scheduled a service appointment but it is a week away. Anyone have insights to what the issue will be?

Attachments

• IMG_2418.jpeg
    IMG_2418.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 108
I had my Drive unit replaced in 2019. Do they fail that quickly? No whirring noises observed. Dropped it off at the service center this morning and was able to pull it off the tow truck and drive it around the parking lot without issue so I am hoping it is not that because they quoted $7000.

Reactions: zoomer0056
That is very unfortunate. I had the original LDU replaced under warranty after 6yr/90K miles. My expectation was that whatever flaws led to the failure would have been corrected with the remanufactured revision LDU, but from the sound of others' experiences that might be more wishful thinking. On the one hand, I'm baffled that Tesla or 3rd parties haven't identified and solved the problem with a solution that reliably lasts beyond 180K miles but that just leaves me to wonder if the issue is more complex than a few simple tweaks.

Tesla or 3rd parties haven't identified and solved the problem with a solution that reliably lasts beyond 180K miles but that just leaves me to wonder if the issue is more complex than a few simple tweaks.

If you look at the YouTube videos where they breakdown the drive units, you will find out that claim EV's are much more reliable than ICE cars because they only have 1 moving part for the motor versus hundreds for an ICE is a lie.

The drive unit consists of a very big electric motor, a single speed transmission with a differential, and an inverter to make the AC power from the DC batteries.

You will see in those breakdowns, there's a lot of familiar things to break that you will see in an ICE. There's crazy amount of gaskets and seals to go bad, there's an electric oil pump to fail or leak, there's a water pump with coolant flowing in all sorts of scary places through and around delicate electronics, there are little heat exchangers/radiators to fail, plenty of bearings and gears to fail, and that darn inverter is a huge liability. The electronics to power electric motors are no where near as reliable as the electronics to run your PC, and PC's fail too, which most people don't believe is the case.

I seriously don't think a drive unit is any more reliable than an ICE, especially after my 2023 MS rear inverter just blew at 5K easy miles and bricked the entire car on the side of the road. In terms of repairs, they don't seem any easier to repair, especially since you have drop the DU for every little thing. With an ICE, you pop the hood, remove a few things in the way, and replace the failed part. And now the SC seems to be struggling to repair my car by messaging me they are taking longer than expected as they "address concerns related to the inverter replacement." Whatever that means!

If you look at the YouTube videos where they breakdown the drive units, you will find out that claim EV's are much more reliable than ICE cars because they only have 1 moving part for the motor versus hundreds for an ICE is a lie.

The drive unit consists of a very big electric motor, a single speed transmission with a differential, and an inverter to make the AC power from the DC batteries.

You will see in those breakdowns, there's a lot of familiar things to break that you will see in an ICE. There's crazy amount of gaskets and seals to go bad, there's an electric oil pump to fail or leak, there's a water pump with coolant flowing in all sorts of scary places through and around delicate electronics, there are little heat exchangers/radiators to fail, plenty of bearings and gears to fail, and that darn inverter is a huge liability. The electronics to power electric motors are no where near as reliable as the electronics to run your PC, and PC's fail too, which most people don't believe is the case.

I seriously don't think a drive unit is any more reliable than an ICE, especially after my 2023 MS rear inverter just blew at 5K easy miles and bricked the entire car on the side of the road. In terms of repairs, they don't seem any easier to repair, especially since you have drop the DU for every little thing. With an ICE, you pop the hood, remove a few things in the way, and replace the failed part. And now the SC seems to be struggling to repair my car by messaging me they are taking longer than expected as they "address concerns related to the inverter replacement." Whatever that means!
Kind of apples and oranges, but perhaps the Tesla DU is more complex and more performance oriented at the cost of reliability...compared to the off-the-shelf powertrain of the 2013 Fiat 500e.

S85 DU stats:
weight with integrated inverter: 290lbs
power output: 278kW

Fiat 500e Bosch SMG 180/120 stats:
weight excluding inverter: 70lbs
power output: 83kW

I've yet to see a Fiat with a DU issue but of course the compliance vehicle did not have nearly the same sales volume nor miles driven given it's 24kWh battery and no level 3 charging capabilities.