Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle May not restart, unable to drive after washing my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else having this issue?
I have an 2016 model S and I haven’t had many issues other than door handles and eyebrows dying on the LED headlamps. Well my AC compressor finally gave out and I replaced it and had my local AC shop recharge it. I thought everything was fine and now when I wash my car I consistently get:
Unable to Drive Voltage supply too low DI_u014,
BMS_w151, BMS_w035 Vehicle May not restart
Electrical system power reduced vehicle May shut down unexpectedly GTW_w018
And the car will refuse to move. I checked inside the trunk and it looks as though the water is running and being vented through the correct channels.

Attachments

• IMG_9074.jpeg
    IMG_9074.jpeg
    487.7 KB · Views: 286
I don’t know if the car wash had anything to do with it, but have service check your HV battery, which should still be under warranty. I suppose it could also be the 12V battery, especially if you haven’t replaced it in a few years (but that won’t be covered).
I’ve been able to repeat it. It’s a new OHMMU Lithium ion battery and I took off the panels to see if it got wet (it didn’t). I’ll have them take a look at the high voltage battery.

Have you tried with a new Tesla 12V battery? I personally wouldn't recommend using Ohmmu, been there and failed almost immediately, no support. junk.
Agreed, I haven't even looked into these batteries but from what you said my first thought was 12v and when you said ohmmu the first thing I thought was the posts I've seen about a lot of people having a lot of problems.

Yes, I have experienced water related issues on my 2014 Model S. Many of the same error messages as you have, see attached picture.

Short story:

The coolant heater had low isolation resistance between the 400V supply from the battery and chassis when wet. Changing the coolant heater fixed the issue.

Long story:

After drying the car up for a while, the car would start again. For me, this also happened when driving when it was raining. Second time this happened, I got the car towed to the closest Tesla service center. Unfortunately they let the car stay outdoors in the sun for a week before they could look at it, so it of course dried up there... The service technician working on my car actually called me, and the only possible reason he could see was possible signs of dried up moisture in the inverter part of the drive unit. He therefore recommended to change the rear drive unit.

I politely said no thank you, weak signs of moisture is not enough to deal with such an investment for me.

When getting the car back I started to experiment, and found that the issue was in the front of the car, simply by elimination. I have a classic RWD, so only things connected to the 400V system there is the DC-DC converter behind the passenger front wheel, the A/C compressor under the frunk, the cabin heater inside the dash and the battery coolant heater next to the frunk.

Removed the frunk, and got easy access to the coolant heater and the AC compressor. Sprayed the coolant heater carefully with water, and the errors started to pop up within a few minutes. Dried the coolant heater with warm air for a couple of hours, errors disappeared. Repeated again, same thing.

Bought a new coolant heater from Tesla, swapped it out and have had no issues for almost 6 months now, including several car washes and driving in heavy rain.
Note: The coolant heater is connected to the 400V system as mentioned, so be sure to follow the correct steps to keep the process safe!

I haven't seen any others experiencing this, so with your issues I thought it could be useful to share my experience.

Attachments

• Stop April 2023.JPG
    Stop April 2023.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 162
Well. I had a service call to Tesla but I have not been able to operate the vehicle until today. Well. I went out, bought a new battery to replace the ohmmu.
So I washed the vehicle again and it did the same exact thing again. I stripped out all of the front internals and nothing was wet inside so I have no idea why it does this. But I did go into service mode and found this.

Attachments

• IMG_9150.jpeg
    IMG_9150.jpeg
    438.2 KB · Views: 144
Oui, j'ai rencontré des problèmes liés à l'eau sur ma Model S 2014. La plupart des mêmes messages d'erreur que vous, voir l'image ci-jointe.

Histoire courte:

Le réchauffeur de liquide de refroidissement présentait une faible résistance d'isolement entre l'alimentation 400 V de la batterie et le châssis lorsqu'il était mouillé. Le changement du réchauffeur de liquide de refroidissement a résolu le problème.

Longue histoire:

Après avoir séché la voiture pendant un moment, la voiture repartait. Pour moi, cela s'est également produit en conduisant lorsqu'il pleuvait. La deuxième fois que cela s'est produit, j'ai fait remorquer la voiture jusqu'au centre de service Tesla le plus proche. Malheureusement, ils ont laissé la voiture dehors au soleil pendant une semaine avant de pouvoir la regarder, donc elle a bien sûr séché là... Le technicien de service travaillant sur ma voiture m'a en fait appelé, et la seule raison possible qu'il a pu voir était signes possibles d'humidité séchée dans la partie onduleur de l'unité d'entraînement. Il a donc recommandé de changer l'unité de transmission arrière.

J'ai poliment dit non merci, de faibles signes d'humidité ne suffisent pas pour moi à faire face à un tel investissement.

En récupérant la voiture, j'ai commencé à expérimenter et j'ai découvert que le problème se trouvait à l'avant de la voiture, simplement par élimination. J'ai un RWD classique, donc seuls les éléments connectés au système 400 V sont le convertisseur DC-DC derrière la roue avant du passager, le compresseur de climatisation sous le coffre, le chauffage de l'habitacle à l'intérieur du tableau de bord et le chauffage du liquide de refroidissement de la batterie à côté du frunk.

J'ai retiré le coffre et j'ai obtenu un accès facile au réchauffeur de liquide de refroidissement et au compresseur de climatisation. J'ai soigneusement pulvérisé le réchauffeur de liquide de refroidissement avec de l'eau et les erreurs ont commencé à apparaître en quelques minutes. J'ai séché le réchauffeur de liquide de refroidissement avec de l'air chaud pendant quelques heures, les erreurs ont disparu. Encore une fois, même chose.

J'ai acheté un nouveau réchauffeur de liquide de refroidissement chez Tesla, je l'ai échangé et je n'ai eu aucun problème depuis près de 6 mois maintenant, y compris plusieurs lavages de voiture et une conduite sous de fortes pluies.
Remarque : Le réchauffeur de liquide de refroidissement est connecté au système 400 V comme mentionné, alors assurez-vous de suivre les étapes correctes pour assurer la sécurité du processus !

Je n'ai vu personne d'autre vivre cela, donc avec vos problèmes, j'ai pensé qu'il pourrait être utile de partager mon expérience.
J'ai aussi le même souci avec mon modèle s p85 de 2014,après avoir lavé la voiture les mêmes erreurs apparaissent mais ne restent pas actives
mais jeudi le passé après mon passage au compresseur(chargé à 80%)je rentrai à la maison j'avais marché sur une natte d'eau
j'ai eu un code d'erreur actif que la voiture risque de ne pas redémarrer
Arrivé à la maison j'ai parqué ma voiture et la voiture ne démarre plus et 2 jours après la voiture ne s'ouvre plus
Je pense que c'est la batterie 12v qui s'est déchargée comment je ne sais pas
Cette batterie 12v a été changée par tesla le 27 juin 2023
Quelqu'un a une idée sur ce problème
Merci d'avance