Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vinyl Wraps - Any warnings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - just received my white model Y which looks great, just like what seems like the hundreds of others in my immediate area (westside LA). I've seen some neat black/grey matte colored tesla which I believe are vinyl wraps which I'm looking into having professionally installed to help differentiate my car. My questions are for anyone with experience
1. Can vinyl wraps be challenging to care for, and do they easily receive damage from rocks, debris etc
2. Any recommendations for a vendor in LA/Socal area
3. Any warnings or concerns I should be aware of

Sometimes the matte wraps you see are actually just a matte clear PPF over the factory paint like these

DSC08512-min.jpg

DSC08811-min.jpg

DSC00491-min.jpg

DSC08735-2-min.jpg

I got mine wrapped to the left. it does offer more protection then a ceramic coating alone, but not as good as ppf. I also got the white, but I intended to wrap from the get go. I love it. You get lots of looks when you step out of the conservative Tesla standard colors..

Thanks - does anyone have experience with the vinyl wrap in terms of level of effort to care and how it holds up over time. Looking to change the color of my car from white

I did consider just a wrap with no PPF but was told that the vinyl is super thin. Any scratch at all will damage that film. I used a black rose film with PPF over it for protection. Not cheap though. 7k cash. No tax.

Hi All - just received my white model Y which looks great, just like what seems like the hundreds of others in my immediate area (westside LA). I've seen some neat black/grey matte colored tesla which I believe are vinyl wraps which I'm looking into having professionally installed to help differentiate my car. My questions are for anyone with experience
1. Can vinyl wraps be challenging to care for, and do they easily receive damage from rocks, debris etc

We wrapped our white Model Y and this our first wrapped car. I have learned from experience that the hard edge around the rear bumper is easy to damage by running a cart into it. The good news is that it is patchable and the patch is not obvious. I asked about adding PPF around that area after experiencing the damage and my installer added a protective strip (something you often see on the bumpers of SUVs) for free. That's a not a full wrap of the bumper. Next time I do this I will probably get the rear bumper fully wrapped.

Also note that your ultrasonic sensors may be affected. I have vinyl wrap and and paint protection film (PPF) on the front bumper and sensors did not work well. They ended up cutting the PPF around the sensors. The rear bumper only has the vinyl and the sensors seem to work fine although I think they're slightly less sensitive compared to our unwrapped 3.

With pandemic the Y has not been driven a lot so not no experience of note yet with rocks/debris. I did take my installers advice of installing PPF on the bumper. This is particularly important if you are going to be wrapping a white car with a dark color. If you scratch it will be quite visible. If I had to do it over I would have paid for a darker color.

Here is the obligatory link to our wrapped car: Model Y wrapped

• Love
Reactions: laservet
We wrapped our white Model Y and this our first wrapped car. I have learned from experience that the hard edge around the rear bumper is easy to damage by running a cart into it. The good news is that it is patchable and the patch is not obvious. I asked about adding PPF around that area after experiencing the damage and my installer added a protective strip (something you often see on the bumpers of SUVs) for free. That's a not a full wrap of the bumper. Next time I do this I will probably get the rear bumper fully wrapped.

Also note that your ultrasonic sensors may be affected. I have vinyl wrap and and paint protection film (PPF) on the front bumper and sensors did not work well. They ended up cutting the PPF around the sensors. The rear bumper only has the vinyl and the sensors seem to work fine although I think they're slightly less sensitive compared to our unwrapped 3.

With pandemic the Y has not been driven a lot so not no experience of note yet with rocks/debris. I did take my installers advice of installing PPF on the bumper. This is particularly important if you are going to be wrapping a white car with a dark color. If you scratch it will be quite visible. If I had to do it over I would have paid for a darker color.

That wrap color is baller. :)

Check out Autoskinz in Santa Clarita for wraps (along with tint and even paint touch-up). They appear to specialize in Tesla and even have a Tesla loaner car (first come, first served). My girlfriend and I had our Teslas tinted there. I'm going back for chrome delete on the handles. When/if I get my car wrapped I'll have it done by Autoskinz.

Window Tint, Paint Protection, Auto Detail, Vehicle Wraps | Autoskinz

View attachment 617280 I got a 3M Vinyl wrap over my MSM, along with a ceramic coat after that. Looking forward to seeing how it holds up. I hand wash only, but the washing process and pressure on any edges is important to take care with.
I know this thread is super old, but was hoping you could tell me the color of the wrap? It’s beautiful! I’m trying to find a wrap that is similar to the 2016 Tesla S Titanium Metallic paint. Is your wrap matte or gloss?

Sweet!