Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virgin Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Super Chargers are proliferating on the east coast now!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 784
The Solar Canopies are supposed to trail the supercharger rollout by 18 months.
Ack, canopy installation trails SC installation by 18 months?

[rant]
In states with either daily intense afternoon storms many months of the year (like FL from what I recall from living in central FL for one year), or with the perpetual nine month long SAD-causing drizzle in the NW (having been born and lived there for 30+ years before moving to the east coast), or northern / mountainous areas with frequent snow in the winter, that is a really annoying decision to hear!

If the issue is with the finances / permits / logistics of the solar integration versus just putting a frickin' canopy over the charger bays, I'd mail Elon a check for $1K tonight if at the time of SC install they'd also install at least the basic shelter from the weather that EVERY FRICKIN' GAS STATION IN THE US has.
[/rant]

Ack, canopy installation trails SC installation by 18 months?

[rant]
In states with either daily intense afternoon storms many months of the year (like FL from what I recall from living in central FL for one year), or with the perpetual nine month long SAD-causing drizzle in the NW (having been born and lived there for 30+ years), or with frequent snow in the winter, that is a really annoying decision to hear!

If the issue is with the finances / permits / logistics of the solar integration versus just putting a frickin' canopy over the charger bays, I'd mail Elon a check for $1K tonight if at the time of SC install they'd also install at least the basic shelter from the weather that EVERY FRICKIN' GAS STATION IN THE US has.
[/rant]

I'd have to restate that. The solar panels is trailing by 18 months. I don't think there is any official word on when the canopies will go up.

I wold like to have one SC. I would never complain about something as meaning less as the cover.
- - - Updated - - -
Some folks would prefer the canopies first and the SC second.
Okay, before this degrades any further into playground finger-pointing, name-calling and general whining...

What I'm proposing, from both a practical and financial standpoint: It makes much more sense to put in the footings for the canopy when the various trades are already in the area tearing things up laying down cable and putting in the pedestals for the various hardware bits.

Either that, or you have a chaotic whiny disruption of service later on when you take some SC down for a while to jackhammer up the pavement / sidewalk in order to put the footings for the canopy in place, then wait for the rebar, the inspections, the cement, more inspections, etc ad nauseum.

It would probably be a pretty bad idea to install solar panels below a bunch of palm trees which would block the sun and which are known to drop heavy, roof breaking fronds. It would make a lot more sense just to install a normal non-solar canopy here.

It would probably be a pretty bad idea to install solar panels below a bunch of palm trees which would block the sun and which are known to drop heavy, roof breaking fronds.
Which proposed or actual supercharger locations have you visited?

The ones in the NE I've visited are in absolutely no danger of anything vegetative nearby falling upon them, more likely to get hit by flying pedestrians when some bus comes barreling through the parking lot!

The locations that I've seen photos of from FL, some are in the middle of barren parking lots, some have a few modest sized palm trees on the perimeter.

If they want to put SC near trees, probably cheaper to replace a busted solar panel (few hundred bucks for parts, add some labor) than the insurance claim for the same debris crashing onto a Model S.

I thought they were putting this one in Downtown Port St Lucie??
According to newspaper articles for what they are worth!

Yes, the ribbon cutting ceremony is this Wednesday, July 24th.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Super Chargers are proliferating on the east coast now!

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the photo.

If you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla Motors Club email me directly at [email protected] with your full name, screen name and city.

Whether or not you are interested in joining, we are having a meetup at TGI Fridays after the ribbon cutting ceremony on July 24 and you are welcome to join us.

Larry

Which proposed or actual supercharger locations have you visited?

The ones in the NE I've visited are in absolutely no danger of anything vegetative nearby falling upon them, more likely to get hit by flying pedestrians when some bus comes barreling through the parking lot!

The locations that I've seen photos of from FL, some are in the middle of barren parking lots, some have a few modest sized palm trees on the perimeter.

If they want to put SC near trees, probably cheaper to replace a busted solar panel (few hundred bucks for parts, add some labor) than the insurance claim for the same debris crashing onto a Model S.

I was only referring to the one in the picture posted by davecolene0606. An electrical issue caused by a broken solar panel could take down the whole row of superchargers. That is why I suggested a non-solar canopy instead.

I was only referring to the one in the picture posted by davecolene0606. An electrical issue caused by a broken solar panel could take down the whole row of superchargers. That is why I suggested a non-solar canopy instead.
The worst a broken solar panel can do is not provide power.

If it somehow manages to provide more power than the inverter attached to that chain of solar panels expects, guess what, there is a breaker in place for that exact scenario!

Well, at least in my solar PV array install at home. They added breakers / disconnects in three locations between the panels and the external power grid.

I'm assuming that any install Tesla would put in place would at least meet if not exceed any standards in code used for the tiny 9kw home install I have.