Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice commands not working with 40.50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, same here. Voice command is awful after updating. Incoming text is fine, but trying to respond does not work. This feels like a rushed release. Hoping they have a patch ready to go. Pretty sad that an update with this much regression made it through...

Reactions: KJWS
Even the by tesla sugested phrases don't work in my model x here in Europe :(
WAF is down by 20 points since this update ;)
"Sorry honey, but voice controle in your car is useless after I installed the update"

20191225_163324_resized.jpg

Voice commands requiring cloud access and working servers to manage local car features is a terrible implementation

Unless Tesla is just gathering our voices/commands and curating an AI network that he can later download locally to our vehicles. HOWever, I'm not an expert on AI or server requirements. But what if Tesla is taking a crack at it's own language interpreter? Besides, they've never been known to change things before. If it can recognize a truck vs car, I'd think voice would be a lot easier having less data needs.

What I do know is that the language problem is greatly reduced when the group of allowed words are limited. So maybe they're doing a study to see what users want at this point, by Country, which unfortunately crashed some servers while trying to respond to all of them at once. If nothing else, I don't think this problem will last.

Actually, I haven't tried it recently, nor read all of this thread, so maybe it's gone. I'm going to publish anyway and see how this pans out.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
One more consideration... my testing was while in my garage where I have very poor phone signal, but good wifi. I noticed extreme delay when it did work which suggests buffering somewhere. Then, when my wife drove off, the car started calling me constantly. That was one of the commands we repeatedly tried.

So question to you all: When you experienced this problem, do you normally have a good phone connection at that location? Could it be that we all suffering from signal loss anyway when we tried it?

first newbie post

On latest update mines been useless worked once or twice - there’s no words coming up at all , only had the model 3 few days , not disastrous but doesn’t make a lot of sense considering basic cars have had it for years , how could it go so wrong

interested in any solutions - but I’m assuming will be on update ....

Reactions: Kennymb5384
Yeah, same here. Voice command is awful after updating. Incoming text is fine, but trying to respond does not work. This feels like a rushed release. Hoping they have a patch ready to go. Pretty sad that an update with this much regression made it through...

Here is an honest question. Do you think they should have delayed it until Easter rather than released it for Christmas?

I don't know if I will ever get this update. I don't have a location where I can get wi-fi access. It shows as having an update available, but doesn't give me the constant nags that I need to do an update. Cool! I can hang back and let them actually get this update working. Maybe I can get wi-fi at Panera Bread or something.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Here is an honest question. Do you think they should have delayed it until Easter rather than released it for Christmas?

I don’t know how it passed QA!? I have seen these threads and videos online where people were seeing the same issue. Should never release with these kinds of issues. I would much rather wait for a solid product than a half assed release just to say it was for Christmas. I can’t use voice commands at all, let alone the new ones...

I would be very surprised if it was working flawlessly during their internal testing. Too many issues for there to be no regression testing needed. Hopefully a patch to fix the bugs will be coming.

Don’t get me wrong. I love my car, but small issues like this are why I will never spend $7k on FSD.

I don’t know how it passed QA!? I have seen these threads and videos online where people were seeing the same issue. Should never release with these kinds of issues. I would much rather wait for a solid product than a half assed release just to say it was for Christmas. I can’t use voice commands at all, let alone the new ones...

I would be very surprised if it was working flawlessly during their internal testing. Too many issues for there to be no regression testing needed. Hopefully a patch to fix the bugs will be coming.

Don’t get me wrong. I love my car, but small issues like this are why I will never spend $7k on FSD.

Yeah, I can't say for sure, but I'd bet this is the Elon factor pushing for a juicy Christmas release. It has got to work against Tesla for a lot of potential customers.

does voice recognition work through tesla or through google? Mine work perfectly until this update. Now its very iffy. I got it to open the glove compartment , but every time i say navigate to ... it either says 'commandant recognised' or it doesn't execute the command or it doesn't' recognise my voice at all...