Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen Plans 22 Million Electric Cars In 10 Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
The automaker may redeem itself yet. Volkswagen Group is serious about electric vehicles. It may not look that way if you judge by its battery-powered cars on the road today — in the U.S., it currently offers only the Volkswagen e-Golf. But, its various brands will be producing millions in just a few years from now. In...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/03/12/volkswagen-plans-22-million-electric-vehicles-ten-years/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

I believe it when I see it. VW has made so many announcements, of which none have come to fruition yet. They are a full 2 years behind on the ID range of vehicles, based on their own previous announcements. Plus LG has them in a stranglehold it seems.
It'd be great to see actually compelling fully electric offerings from VW.

Not a fan of the design, it's the sort of "what a traditional car mfr thinks an EV looks like". BMW did the same thing with the i3, and it killed demand - they were almost giving them away at one point. It took Tesla to shake up the industry and show people that electric cars could be cool, and thankfully many have taken their lead.

Simpsons chronicled this (of course):

• Funny
Reactions: KerryOH
They are no different than any of the other big legacy producers - the're watching the Tesla model play out, studying it, making broad long term promises, creating purchase doubt for current EV shoppers - "wait, don't purchase, we have something coming, lots of something!"

I believe, that they believe, that the initial customer base size will be somewhat limited due to current technology limitations (range, charging infrastructure, ect...), as well as, lack of other legacy support, lack of customer understanding, unwilling to educate, ect...

They await addition market feedback, while talking that they are in the game.

Reactions: SDRick
They are a full 2 years behind on the ID range of vehicles, based on their own previous announcements.
How are they behind?
They always said 2019.
https://electrek.co/2017/06/26/vw-electric-cars-i-d-lounge-and-i-d-aeroe/

vw-elektro-plan-kl.jpg

That is not true, even though it's constantly repeated. See here:

"Budd-E coming before 2019": Volkswagen: Der Bulli wird zum Elektro-Kumpel
("bis 2019 soll es Wirklichkeit werden", which if you're lenient means early 2019)

"600km range car coming end of 2018": 600 km Reichweite: VW-Elektroauto soll Tesla Model S überholen
("Ein seriennaher Prototyp werde Ende September auf dem Pariser Automobilsalon vorgestellt, erklärte VW-Markenchef Herbert Diess gegenüber der Wirtschaftswoche. Ende 2018 oder Anfang 2019 soll das Elektroauto von VW auf den Markt kommen.")

I can't find the earlier links right now but essentially the initial technical promise was "more than 500km range, below 30.000 Euro" for 2017/18. That was before the whole range was branded I.D.
So if I manage to find those links you have the proof for 2 years delay. And if you read the link above you have Mr. Diess' timeline which they are likely going to be one year over.

The 30.000 Euro price point claim was also repeated quite often: https://www.motor-talk.de/news/2020-vw-id-gegen-tesla-model-3-t6082911.html

Again, I'd love to see that happen. I'll wait until it does however. Right now what you have is the e-golf, and just last week someone driving an e-golf couldn't believe when I unplugged the Zoe after one hour of charging. He said "You can't possibly be full already".