Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA DOL Personalized Plates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at obtaining new personalized plates for our M3 (hoping to pickup 9/29) in WA State. Went down to the DOL today with my (expected) VIN information, and they told me that Tesla handles the registration at purchase and we have to fill out a form and snail mail to to Olympia to apply for the personalized plates. No problem. Our question is this: Are we going to be getting 2 sets of plates?? One set of generic state issued ones, and then the second personalized set? Or can this be avoided?

If you haven't picked up the car yet, just tell the DA at delivery what you want your plates to be (also type e.g. Seahawks, UW, etc.). I believe there is a form that you'll fill out with a primary, secondary, third choice (backups in case your primary isn't available or is rejected). That's how they handle personalized plates at the DOL anyway.

If you haven't taken delivery yet, you will likely get temporary plates for up to 6 weeks and 1 set of permanent, personalized plates will be mailed at some point in the latter half of that window.

It might be easier to just wait for your "random" permanent plates and then request the personalized ones directly through WA DOL. If you roll the personalized plates through Tesla, they might have to redo the MVPA because it'll change the amount due. Depending who you get or are working with, it can either be extremely easy or extremely frustrating.

... they might have to redo the MVPA because it'll change the amount due. Depending who you get or are working with, it can either be extremely easy or extremely frustrating.

Good point, didn't think of that. With the instability with delivery being what it is, it's probably safer not to disrupt it further.

Hmm... I'm considering vanity plates too. Something to think about!

I asked them about registering vanity plates and they said the forms are not setup to do that, so I should just wait for the plates to be assigned by the state and then roll those into vanity plates. I got the plates just a couple days ago, so now I have to figure out what my vanity plate will be... I have a few I'm thinking about, just have to convince myself which one is better. :)