Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wacky routing/charging all of a sudden

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A year into ownership, about 12,000 miles, multiple long trips done before. Drove about 1500 miles round trip last week. In prior trips the charging recommendations were always sensible and remarkably accurate, at least in terms of the projected SOC at arrival various places. This time it was doing all kinds of weird things, for example asking us to charge for nearly an hour up to 95% in order to arrive at the next supercharger with 45%. I didn't do that, obviously, but why would it think that was a good idea? This is on the NY Thruway, where there are superchargers every 40-50 miles.

The SOC on arrivals projections were also screwy, it would project 20-30 at the end of charging, that projection would drop to 10-15% over the first 20 miles or so and then it would choose a different, closer, SC. This is a big change from its prior behavior. It seemed now to really want to arrive at the next SC with 25-40% SOC, not, I would think the most efficient approach. Is there a setting somewhere that adjusts the desired level-- Charging would go faster if it let it go down closer to 10%.

I'm not aware of a recent software update to blame this on, but is there a fix? Clearly I can manually override dumb suggestions, but it was nice when it just worked well on its own.

2022 MYLR, version 2023.26.8

Us too on our summer road trip.

It had us driving an hour backwards (and cross an international border) to charge before continuing on our trip and passing the charger 30 minutes away. Of course, at that point it had us taking an unavailable ferry. On the way home while waiting for the ferry on the opposite shore, it refused to recognize its existence therefore I couldn't know with certainty where I needed to charge once getting off the ferry. (Plus the usual not knowing where it was when we got off the ferry.)

In general, it was pretty useless the whole trip. Thankfully, I've made that trip 4 times now with the car so knew what I was doing since it didn't. But it meant we had no ETA for our hosts without me having to pull out my phone and figuring it out from google maps, adding in estimated charge times, since the NAV wouldn't do that for me.

Us too on our summer road trip.

It had us driving an hour backwards (and cross an international border) to charge before continuing on our trip and passing the charger 30 minutes away. Of course, at that point it had us taking an unavailable ferry. On the way home while waiting for the ferry on the opposite shore, it refused to recognize its existence therefore I couldn't know with certainty where I needed to charge once getting off the ferry. (Plus the usual not knowing where it was when we got off the ferry.)

In general, it was pretty useless the whole trip. Thankfully, I've made that trip 4 times now with the car so knew what I was doing since it didn't. But it meant we had no ETA for our hosts without me having to pull out my phone and figuring it out from google maps, adding in estimated charge times, since the NAV wouldn't do that for me.

First and foremost, you should really never completely trust anything!!!

I don't believe that basic routing is the focus of this thread, it's the charging recommendations that seem to be off. And as someone who has driven the car for 5 years, the charging recommendations are just that, recommendations. And (when working as expected) they are quite liberal and can often easily be extended. But even more important, a charging stop shouldn't be made on a long trip if you can't do something like eat or take a stretch break. Sitting in the car while charging is pretty much a waste.

And you really checked, double checked, and triple checked ferries that you aren't intimately familiar with.

I'm not sure you couldn't know where charging locations were on the other side of the ferry. You can always turn on the Supercharger display. Or use PlugShare, (which should be on everyone's phone, and saved as a favorite in the car) or ABRP.

I would have just routed to the ferry and then always know the options from the ferry to your destination. Actually, I suspect that if you just told the hosts what time you were arriving at the ferry, they would have known how long you would be.

But ferries are basically problematic in most any routing solution.

I don't believe that basic routing is the focus of this thread, it's the charging recommendations that seem to be off.

When the car is routing me onto a long-left ferry, it makes the next charging station no where near where my route is taking me. Which then makes the remaining charge and the charging times useless, and of course the arrival time at destination.

As for knowing the ferry times, there are two a day and while I may not know them to the minute, I do know them to the hour and the morning ferry had left hours before.

I'm not sure you couldn't know where charging locations were on the other side of the ferry. You can always turn on the Supercharger display. Or use PlugShare, (which should be on everyone's phone, and saved as a favorite in the car) or ABRP.

Not WHERE the chargers were. What would my state of charge be as I drove towards my day's destination after the , and thus, where would I need to stop? Everyone goes on and on about how wonderful the Tesla NAV system is for calculating all this and yet, on our trip, the car was useless for giving us this information in real time.

I was in a province that had TWO superchargers. I was coming from an area where it would be a 2 - 3 hour drive to the nearest Supercharger (having been in that place for 3 days) and I knew there was a supercharger 20 minutes out of my way when getting off the ferry. Yet, even in the ferry parking lot, waiting to load onto the ferry, the NAV was having me drive 2+ hours away to charge up in order to continue my trip (after trying to route me onto the ferry when I was in the other province on my way to my hosts.) I surmised I would be fine to skip that charger and go onto the next one, 90 minutes away but the NAV system you all rave about didn't give me any of that information.

I've noticed this as well. It does seem like it's changed somewhere in the past few months. I know the algorithm is designed to minimize the amount of time spent charging over the course of a trip, but I sure don't like to sit at one charger - especially one with crappy amenities - for 30 minutes, like it wanted me to in Augusta ME on Sunday. And at a V2 with 150 kw max. I agree that the arrival SOC has been a bit flaky as well. The SOC it gives you before you unplug seems to be the most accurate; my car will also jump up maybe 5 - 10%, then get back down to where it was prior to unplugging. I wish we had more options in the routing set-up. And I don't think my car has EVER shown me multiple routes like it is supposed to.

When the car is routing me onto a long-left ferry, it makes the next charging station no where near where my route is taking me. Which then makes the remaining charge and the charging times useless, and of course the arrival time at destination.

As for knowing the ferry times, there are two a day and while I may not know them to the minute, I do know them to the hour and the morning ferry had left hours before.

Not WHERE the chargers were. What would my state of charge be as I drove towards my day's destination after the , and thus, where would I need to stop? Everyone goes on and on about how wonderful the Tesla NAV system is for calculating all this and yet, on our trip, the car was useless for giving us this information in real time.

I was in a province that had TWO superchargers. I was coming from an area where it would be a 2 - 3 hour drive to the nearest Supercharger (having been in that place for 3 days) and I knew there was a supercharger 20 minutes out of my way when getting off the ferry. Yet, even in the ferry parking lot, waiting to load onto the ferry, the NAV was having me drive 2+ hours away to charge up in order to continue my trip (after trying to route me onto the ferry when I was in the other province on my way to my hosts.) I surmised I would be fine to skip that charger and go onto the next one, 90 minutes away but the NAV system you all rave about didn't give me any of that information.

Think how you want. But in reality, routes with ferries are probably about 0.001% of the trips made. Sure, you got caught up in the 0.001%, but you should have routed before you left and realized that the car was going to have some issues and use any of the third party solutions, or even Tesla's https://www.tesla.com/trips

And I like started with, you should NEVER completely trust any NAV system. Did you look at the story that I posted? It's a great example of why not to.

You should be able to guess your SoC at any point along the route, just look at the mileage left on the Energy screen. And by simply looking at the map while the chargers are display, make a rough determination of your options.

Will the Tesla Nav solve all of your problems? No. Is it better than most anything else? Yes. Should you completely trust it? No.

But if you felt a need to trust it, why didn't you follow it's recommendations? Because you knew better? Then I assume that you knew what the charging alternatives were.

The point of my post is that the behavior of my car has recently changed, much for the worse— eg asking me to charge to 95% to arrive at the next SC with 45% remaining in ordinary highway driving under near ideal conditions. Ferries are not particularly relevant. I’m hoping to find out whether this is unique to me or a more general problem, as that influences possible courses of action. I can do my own routing certainly, or use ABRP, but the Tesla software worked very well for me six weeks ago and worked very poorly last week under very similar circumstances and I’d like to understand that— and, I hope, get back to the prior behavior just because it’s easier to let the car do it, when it works.

The point of my post is that the behavior of my car has recently changed, much for the worse— eg asking me to charge to 95% to arrive at the next SC with 45% remaining in ordinary highway driving under near ideal conditions. Ferries are not particularly relevant. I’m hoping to find out whether this is unique to me or a more general problem, as that influences possible courses of action. I can do my own routing certainly, or use ABRP, but the Tesla software worked very well for me six weeks ago and worked very poorly last week under very similar circumstances and I’d like to understand that— and, I hope, get back to the prior behavior just because it’s easier to let the car do it, when it works.
Doesn't seem that many others have noticed it. Probably because they often blindly accept the guidance and because road trips aren't that common.

All I know is that the car was telling me that at 150 miles, I needed a lot more time on the charger to make it home, only 40 miles away. Pretty sure it's just this release.

Reactions: DanDi58