Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait to apply PPF, or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SaloonGoon

2020 PD3+ 2021 PDY 2019 AUDI R8P
Nov 12, 2019
Bay Area
Seems to be a lot of mixed opinions about waiting a month to have PPF installed. My P will be my new daily driver, and it’ll see lots of disgusting Bay Area freeways right after delivery.

Have the Xpel applied immediately, or wait?

Seems to be a lot of mixed opinions about waiting a month to have PPF installed. My P will be my new daily driver, and it’ll see lots of disgusting Bay Area freeways right after delivery.

Have the Xpel applied immediately, or wait?

Immediately. With the way paints are baked at the factory these days...there’s really no outgassing that you need to wait for. Plus if you wait you’re risking developing chips before the ppf is put on. I had my ppf appointment scheduled the day after I took delivery.

Reactions: Sherlo
I've only heard about the waiting of 30 days if your car was recently re-painted at a body or paint shop.... For example, my Model 3 was delivered with several paint defects, which required repainting of several panels at a Tesla Approved body shop. Body shop told me to wait 30 days before PPF installation on all of the repainted panels.

Always wait at least 30 days. Even with perfect painting methods and curing (which Tesla does not have) the paint needs proper time to cure.

If you ever decide to remove it, you will be thankful that the paint properly cured beforehand.

Immediately. With the way paints are baked at the factory these days...there’s really no outgassing that you need to wait for. Plus if you wait you’re risking developing chips before the ppf is put on. I had my ppf appointment scheduled the day after I took delivery.

This was always my thought process

Wait for what, a bunch of rock chips to show up, my PPF guy squeezed me in as I had a trip planned to San Diego as soon as I got the car but he moved some other people around and got me in before my trip, so glad he did that.

Off-gassing and curing.... I guess, as stated above, there’s no need

I've only heard about the waiting of 30 days if your car was recently re-painted at a body or paint shop.... For example, my Model 3 was delivered with several paint defects, which required repainting of several panels at a Tesla Approved body shop. Body shop told me to wait 30 days before PPF installation on all of the repainted panels.

hmmmm.... even though they also bake the paint at body shops ‍♂️

Always wait at least 30 days. Even with perfect painting methods and curing (which Tesla does not have) the paint needs proper time to cure.

If you ever decide to remove it, you will be thankful that the paint properly cured beforehand.

So my premise is confirmed; there’s no real consensus

Thanks for the feedback!!