Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector suddenly limited to 44A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Gen3 Wall Connector charging at 48A since it was installed. It's on a 60A circuit. Here's the info from the app (with the SN blocked out). It clearly shows it can output 48A:

IMG_0029.jpeg

But today I noticed the app shows the current limited to 44A with no way to go up to 48A:

IMG_0028.jpeg

The only thing I can think of is that the setup changed within the web interface. So I tried to connect to that. First I just went to the IP where I got this screen/error that I had never seen before:

Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 11.30.00 AM.png

Next I pressed the button on the cable enabling the built-in wifi and connected to that SSID. Then I went to the documented, built in management IP. Same screen as above. So I downloaded the Tesla One app. The only logical option on that app (after signing in as a non-tesla employee) was to"begin install" of a wall connector. It asked for the wifi info from the box, which I entered. It could not connect.

So for now, I'm stuck at 44A. Only other thing I'll add is that my electrician was here a couple weeks ago converting a 20A/120V circuit into a 20A/240v for a new single-head mini-split for my living room. He should not have in any way touched the Wall Connector circuit, but this is the only thing that has happened electrically-speaking since I noticed this 44A limitation. All that said, something tells me if I can get into the Wall Connector setup I'll find that it has been reduced to 44A and I can jack it back up to 48A. But I can't get in there anymore!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Perhaps this is a silly question, but...how long did you let it sit there charging at 44amps? My car will regularly show 44 or 46 amps when it first starts charging, and after a short period of time, ramp up to 48 amps.
Along the same token if something is overheating it might de-rate the amperage. Is it 44 amps constant throughout the charge session or does it go down from 48 to 44 at some point?

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
So I just upped the charge limit and restarted charging, and it is indeed at 48A again. But....why? What happened before? I am a little obsessive about checking this stuff and never remember seeing anything less than 48A in the large center block/selector where you can reduce (or increase if it is already reduced) the charging amperage. It shouldn't be over heating. Maybe the handle just wasn't perfectly seated in the port?