Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector L1 to neutral = 49V, L2 to neutral = 120V, L1 to L2 = 61V

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my wall connector off the unfinished wall in my garage and then installed wallboard. Then I reinstalled the wall connector the wall connector is not working. No lights on the front at all.

When I took it off the wall I only turned off the breaker and removed the face-plate to the wall charger. I did not disconnect any wiring.

Here is the voltages I measured:
At the breaker panel:
L1 to neutral = 49V
L2 to neutral = 120V
L1 to L2 = 61V
At the wall connector (the connection pins with the face-plate off)
L1 to G = 49V
L2/N to G = 120V
L1 to L2/N = 61V

To me it seemed like the issue is with the L1 circuit, since I moved the wall connector and might have moved the cables within the unit I tried to tighten it but I was not able to turn it at all (it was torque to spec when it was installed).

I then tried to tighten the L1 line to the 60Amp breaker and I was able to tighten that one a bit more. I tried testing the voltage and got the same readings as above.

Now I am starting to think it is breaker but the breaker is only 2.5 years old.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Here is a picture of wall connector after I installed the wall board behind it if that helps. You will see a spare wire (white) since I installed 6/3 wire instead of 6/2 two and half years ago, so I do have a spare line.

Attachments

• IMG_7680.jpeg
    IMG_7680.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 16
Did you try removing the wires to inspect the ends? Maybe you need to cut and redo the ends.

Additionally, try pulling the breaker and checking the contacts. If you have a multimeter or something, check if the internals of the breaker to confirm it’s fine.

Reactions: kevin1
Goobers, good idea, I think before I try that I will disconnect the L1 and L2 wires from the 60A breaker and measure the voltage at the breaker with it disconnected to see if I get 240V instead of 61V. If I still get 61V then I know it is a breaker issue and I can try re-seating it.

I have tested another 240V circuit in my panel board and I am getting 240V so I know the buss bars in the side the cabinet is working.

OK I just disconnected the wires from the breaker and I get:
L1 to L2 = 5.3V
L1 to neutral = 2.5V
L2 to neutral = 123V

Seems like half the breaker is bad, Eaton has a lifetime warranty I think but I purchased through a electrical contractor so I not sure how that works. I will call them....

A new 60A breaker is about 30 bucks - probably not worth your time to hassle with trying to get it replaced under warranty. Even if you get it replaced the contractor will probably charge for labor.

You’ve already got the wires disconnected so I’d try doing as suggested above: remove the breaker, check the buss bars, then re-seat the breaker and check the voltage to see if it’s still off. If it is, buy a new breaker and replace it.

All fixed! It was the breaker, the electrician gave me another one and I just installed it and it works fine now. The bad one had one side of the breaker not working. He said that it is pretty common for these breakers under a Tesla load to only last a few years, he is starting to replaces ones that put in a few years ago, he said they get too hot. I looked at the buss bar and it looked good.

Attachments

• IMG_7687.jpeg
    IMG_7687.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7686.jpeg
    IMG_7686.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 13
I took the 60A Eaton breaker apart (only lasted 2.5 years). The left side is good and the right side is bad. I am not sure how a breaker works but I can't find any burn marks. Can anyone see how the right side failed?

Attachments

• IMG_7691.jpeg
    IMG_7691.jpeg
    558.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7689.jpeg
    IMG_7689.jpeg
    796.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7690.jpeg
    IMG_7690.jpeg
    800.9 KB · Views: 11