Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to bring my TM3 from Canada to Netherlands

Would you still bring your Tesla to another continent even without warranty?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry you misread, but Norway is a part of Europe, which is exactly as I wrote, verbatim ;)

As Norway is NOT part of the EU as I stated, there is absolutely no use in bringing cars from the EU to Norway, so your example is important nor relevant in any way.

The point is to illustrate the differences in regulations and regimes across countries. Importing a car from Germany or Netherlands into Austria -- all EU members -- incurs a (pretty hefty) consumption tax called NoVA.

But because of hefty price differences it will still bring profit. A lot of profit. Usually in the order of thousands of Euro's. Your information is far from complete. Any idea why so many second hand cars are traded over the borders within the EU? Any idea why most second hand Tesla's are exported from The Netherlands? Any idea why so many second hand PHEV's are exported from The Netherlands?

The official statistics for export from the Netherlands: (export) CBS Statline
(import): https://www.cbs.nl/-/media/_excel/2018/43/maatwerktabellen_artikel_bpm.xls

Any idea why so many German cars like Audi's or BMW's are imported from Germany to The Netherlands?

Ever heard of single European market? Any idea why car manufacturers price cars at will in different regions in the EU? So they can make more money. Exactly the money individuals can make by importing the cars themselves even though some country taxes have to be paid. Mind you that EV's are currently free of a lot of taxes.

I do not know where you are from but a consumption tax called NoVA is unknown to me, and Google will not turn up information since your geolocation is unknown. Can you provide the Dutch name for that? Please be aware that cars are taxed very differently throughout Europe.

Importing a car from an even farther point of origin, will lead to even higher compliance costs.

That is not the question. It is really unwise to ship a Tesla from Canada to the EU, there we agree.

Sorry if I sound a little bit too harsh, but I try to communicate based on facts, not on assumptions.

Last edited:
As Norway is NOT part of the EU as I stated, there is absolutely no use in bringing cars from the EU to Norway, so your example is important nor relevant in any way.
Nobody claimed Norway is part of the EU, so that's not being contested.
The context in which it was brought up is that:
(1) there are costs and hassles going across neighboring EU countries (say DE --> AT);
(2) there are still even higher costs and hassles within EEA geographic area (say DE --> NO);
(3) so it follows that there is likely even higher costs and hassles and complexity going across 2 places with wayyy looser economic and geographic ties than any of the above examples.

Any idea why so many second hand cars are traded over the borders within the EU?
1. Tons of people move across the EU.
2. Some national markets are much smaller i.e. less selection.
Any idea why most second hand Tesla's are exported from The Netherlands? Any idea why so many second hand PHEV's are exported from The Netherlands?
NL having far and away the highest Tesla volume in the EU doesnt hurt.
Spain e.g. isnt going to export many when there are 1000 total units in the country.

Any idea why so many German cars like Audi's or BMW's are imported from Germany to The Netherlands?
If I were to follow the tone of your response, the OP isnt asking about German cars "so your example is important nor relevant in any way."....

Ever heard of single European market? Any idea why car manufacturers price cars at will in different regions in the EU? So they can make more money. Exactly the money individuals can make by importing the cars themselves even though some country taxes have to be paid.
Businesses wanting to make money? I cannot believe...
Why can businesses sustain this price different in the EU? Because the (secondary) arbitrage market isn't substantial enough to negate the primary market.

Mind you that EV's are currently free of a lot of taxes.
Mind you other duties arent exempt.

I do not know where you are from but a consumption tax called NoVA is unknown to me, and Google will not turn up information since your geolocation is unknown. Can you provide the Dutch name for that?

Google's first result for "nova tax" or "nova austria" or similar variations thereof. you can see the facts there
BMF - Importing a Vehicle for Personal Use

Please be aware that cars are taxed very differently throughout Europe.
which is entirely my point in post #20 above: different taxes eveyrwhere so importing cars is no simple task, particularly one from across the ocean

That is not the question. It is really unwise to ship a Tesla from Canada to the EU, there we agree.
which is the original question, to which atleast we have a similar reply

Where you still fail to see that a lot of cars (which was the point!) are imported and exported from one EU country to another.
Guess why Tesla is so popular for export? Yes... You guessed it. No taxes. Which is the point you tried to not make. And no, there are no other relevant taxes on EV's in The Netherlands except VAT. Do you remember that you are on the specific Dutch part of the Tesla forum, so we really do not care about Austrian taxes?

Stating that you are responding from Austria would have helped in the first place. Why would I google for NOVA Austria (esp. the Austria part), which is a typical Austrian local tax?

And no, nearly everybody capable of buying a Tesla will have the intelligence required to import or export a car. There are even Dutch members importing new Tesla's from Germany, that saves them around 2000 Euro each. Difficult? Nah. Not at all. One can even save more money by leaving it registered in Germany for 6 months before exporting, then the German subsidy is also still valid, saving another 4000 Euros. So sorry, you were wrong about importing/exporting cars within the EU. Certainly EV's since they do not exhail CO2.

Also you did not respond to the high number of international sales of cars to and from The Netherlands. Much more convenient to forget the facts, isn't it?

Normally I would advise yes to take your car from North America to Europe. Cars in NA are cheap compared to Europe and importing is easy.
I have lived in the US in the past and when moving to NL we took 2 cars with us. The cars were just over 6 months in our posession and therefor are treated as personal belongings (no import duties). An EV is exempt of Dutch BPM and also VAT does not need to be paid as it has been paid overseas. The only costs you would have is RDW registraion fees, shipping and possibly modifications to the car. Our cars did not have a fog light in the rear and also needed the indicator light bulbs changed.
We used the cars for another 2 years in NL and sold them both for the same price as we bought them in the US. Not bad right?

However since Tesla uses other connectors in North America I would advise to leave that car there. Do you have an ICE that might be attractive to import? You would need to pay a bit of BPM on an ICE depending on it's age.

I have also imported many cars within the EU to NL and that is very easy. For instance 2 VW E-Up from Italy both 2 years old. They both fitted on one trailer, drove them to NL, brought them by the RDW and pay 120 euro for the registration. Fill in the customs form for BPM and VAT (both 0 euro, No BPM on EV's and VAT was paid in Italy). Within a few days you have your registraion card and you can get your plates made (apporx €20). We sold both cars in the Netherlands each with a profit of approx €5000.

Will you be paying your income taxes in the Netherlands?
If not, just ship you car over and you can drive in Europe on your Canadian plates. A friend of mine drive with his Bahrain car in the Netherlands without problems. Just make sure you have a valid registration in the car and also a copy of the insurance. Depending on your driving style, it might save you a lot on speeding tickets as well.

Guess why Tesla is so popular for export? Yes... You guessed it. No taxes.
Start with the fact that they're in short supply everywhere

. Do you remember that you are on the specific Dutch part of the Tesla forum, so we really do not care about Austrian taxes?
So why do you care about used Audis and BMWs that you brought up on this Tesla forum?

Stating that you are responding from Austria would have helped in the first place. Why would I google for NOVA Austria (esp. the Austria part), which is a typical Austrian local tax?

How did you so conveniently forget my referencing NoVA directly to Austria? In fact, you actually quoted it:
The point is to illustrate the differences in regulations and regimes across countries. Importing a car from Germany or Netherlands into Austria -- all EU members -- incurs a (pretty hefty) consumption tax called NoVA.

And no, nearly everybody capable of buying a Tesla will have the intelligence required to import or export a car.
Why conflate tolerance with intelligence? The MAJORITY of EU tesla owners bought and registered the car in their home state. Is that because they weren't intelligent enough to import it from NL? Or the hassle simply wasn't worth it?

There are even Dutch members importing new Tesla's from Germany, that saves them around 2000 Euro each. Difficult? Nah. Not at all. One can even save more money by leaving it registered in Germany for 6 months before exporting, then the German subsidy is also still valid, saving another 4000 Euros. So sorry, you were wrong about importing/exporting cars within the EU. Also you did not respond to the high number of international sales of cars to and from The Netherlands.

Dont keep jousting at windmills. Bringing cars across borders is not impossible. But it's generally hasslesome and unpractical. But if you find keeping a car registered in another country for 6 months worth your time, nobody will judge you for it.

• Disagree
Reactions: horta
My biggest concern would be no fast charging at all. Not at superchargers and not at 3rd party fast chargers because they're all EU style CCS (so even if Tesla comes out with an American style CCS adapter I won't help you). Some employers have a financial package to help ex-pats overcome some of the financial costs associated with moving. Are you able to negotiate for them to cover part of your loss in case you'd sell your Canadian car an buy new here?

Will you be paying your income taxes in the Netherlands?
If not, just ship you car over and you can drive in Europe on your Canadian plates. A friend of mine drive with his Bahrain car in the Netherlands without problems. Just make sure you have a valid registration in the car and also a copy of the insurance. Depending on your driving style, it might save you a lot on speeding tickets as well.

A car cannot be driven for more than 6 months in The Netherlands with foreign license plates without paying MRB (tax) and BPM (will be 0 for BEV's) if you live in The Netherlands. This is not optional. That is irrespective of paying income taxes. You will have to declare the car to the RDW.

They really don't. The notable exceptions are classic/vintage cars, those affiliated with military, and/or those otherwise planning to keep it for very short time (<1yr or <6mo), as there are various loopholes and exemptions available.
Trust me, I live in the town with the biggest US expat community in The Netherlands. There are lots of imported cars driving around. And that's exactly because of those exemptions.

Yes you can import it with no problem, but i wouldnt import a tesla, too much functionality too loose.

What is your timeframe if i may ask? In half a year the first 2nd hand model 3's will be for sale i guess.
Probably can get a good deal on one here. what is the spec you are comparing price wise?

Thanks for the input guys. It is decided I will not bring the car to EU.

Somebody from the forum just wrote to me and would be interested in buying the car.
There is also someone who offered me to rent the car for 500$ Cad/month for a year. It is somebody I know and I trust. This could also be a good option for the first year.

Thanks again!

Yes you can import it with no problem, but i wouldnt import a tesla, too much functionality too loose.

What is your timeframe if i may ask? In half a year the first 2nd hand model 3's will be for sale i guess.
Probably can get a good deal on one here. what is the spec you are comparing price wise?

I am coming on January 12th. I will rent a car until I get my address and license then I will buy a car.