Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WANTED SIGNATURE SERIES MODEL S w/ SERIAL # < 100

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you tell the production number, is it the last digits of the VIN#? We're picking up a 2013 tomorrow in Tampa but I also bought a used white Signature with 2,500 miles this afternoon. The last 7 digits in the VIN# are S000031
We can tell you more about the features if you list the full VIN. ;)

Any chance you're willing to share what you paid?

You know, I've been buying and selling amazing cars for over 30 years now. On many occasions I have disclosed what I paid for them to potential buyers without regret. I've made plenty of mistakes in my career and lost as much as $45k on my single worst transaction. Although it was the most fun to drive! A very high level South African made, stainless steel chassis, replica Ford GT40, with 402R Roush V8. It did sting taking that hit. What made it a little easier was the fact that 10 minutes later I sold a 1969 428 Cougar Cobra Jet and made $40k. It was an auction, so both sales were out of my control at that moment. But here is my point, over the last 30 days I have convinced myself to largely focus on Tesla. And in true Musk form of full disclosure and transparency I feel publishing my acquisition cost is important and I intend to offer it in each scenario. Somewhere between 5-10% margins will be my target. No different than auction houses or real estate agents. And like the GT 40, sometimes it will be a loss, it's just the way it works.

I own a wholesale trading platform for highline and exotic cars which 300 dealers use nationwide to buy and sell their inventories. Yesterday I posted on my site that I wanted to buy any Tesla model S sedans. The #31 car popped up a hour later through one of our members and I agreed to pay $96,600. The seller is taking delivery of a 2013 Model S! That kind of feels good to me, glad it's keeping the brand moving. I intend to offer the car at the Auburn, Indiana collector car auction this coming Labor Day as a "Collector Car". Which is exactly what I feel it is. If no one gets it there I will bring it home and decide whether to keep it or sell it.

I can honestly state here that I have not been as excited about a car since my first when I was 15 years old or any since. In 1977 I bought a 1971 Mustang Mach 1 green with argent stripes, 351 Cleveland with 4 speed and Ram Air hood for $3,400. Here are a few other favorites I have been fortunate to have go through my hands:
* 2012 Mc Laren MP4-12
* 2005 Porsche Carrera GT
* 2005 Ford GT
* 1966 Ford 289 Cobra (real one)
* 2008 Mercedes SLR Roadster
* 2008 Rolls Drophead Coupe
* 1988 Lamborghini Countach (clutch cost me $9k, ouch!)
* 2001 BMW Z8
* 2007 Ferrari F430 Spider

You get the idea, plus tons of Euro sedans in BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jag. and others. I don't offer this boastfully, I have enjoyed the career path well but make no mistake, it is unnerving to trade in these assets at times as you can imagine. Our day to day car has been a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta diesel, until later this afternoon! Picking up our 2013 today in Tampa gives me the same feeling some 36 years later! Do you mind me asking how you can tell which options with just the VIN #? 5YJSA1DP0CFS00031

Again, please excuse the long winded post but I really want to promote the Tesla brand and am committed to do so in any way possible. If I'm going to continue to risk it's going to largely be Tesla, it just feels right! I also took the savings of buying our MS and bought stock Wednesday at $143 along with two of my best friends who paid the same rate plus or minus, just to show support for the company. One owns an organic blueberry farm and the other is the CEO of First Green Bank. A bank in Florida with an environmental cause, something the market wasn't asking for but has responded well too. We have the first LEED Platinum bank building here in little old Eustis, Fl.!

Last edited:
Using the secret VIN decoder ring found here:

Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

You have:

5YJSA1DP0CFS00031

5YJ = Tesla
S = Model S
A = 5 Door Hatchback
1 = Restraint System: Manual Type 2 USA Seat Belts, Dual Front Airbags, Front/Rear Side Airbags, Knee Airbags
D = 20kw Charger, w/DC Fast Charge
P = Performance A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90 kWh)
0 = Check Digit: Variable
C = 2012
F = Fremont
S = Signature Series
00031 = #31

Congratulations!

They should have all gone to retail customers. There were actually about ~30 'Founder's series cars' that went to board members and major investors that came before the Signature series as well.

It is possible to actually buy one of those founders cars. Last year, around July, I came across the Founders car #12 getting final prepped at the Chicago service center. The service people there said that the person it was going to, a black MS by the way, was going to sell it immediately. It was probably sold to a friend since I can't imagine that everyone here wouldn't have heard and talked about it back then.