Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning about late fees (Texas residents)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d like to share my experience with registration and titling in Texas

I took delivery on June 11th. At the time I was not aware that If I did not complete my registration and title transfer by July 11th, I would be subject to late fees, totaling $192.16.

My registration packet from Tesla showed up on Wednesday July 7th, which would have left me 2 business days to complete my title transfer and registration without penalty. Unfortunately, I was out of town at the time and unable to complete the title transfer until July 12th, which was 1 day past the deadline.

Depending on when you receive your registration packet, you may only have a few days to complete your registration and title transfer without a penalty.

I registered my Model 3 (delivered in Feb) today. Keep in mind all title work at the tax office is done by appointment only.

Here's my experience: After I was about to get up and leave, I noticed a $166 late fee and asked about it, since this was the earliest available appointment. The clerk told me that if I could prove I registered for the appointment within 30 days of buying the car, she could send it in, and she gave me her email address. I forwarded the appointment reservation to her right there, she printed it out, did some more paperwork, removed the fee, and had me write a new check. Win!

My recommendation for new car buyers is: Make a title appointment the day you take delivery. If you haven't gotten your Tesla paperwork within a few weeks, make another appointment further out, but create it *within a month of delivery*. Then depending on when you get the papers from Tesla, you can cancel one of the appointments. And make sure to print out your reservation email and bring it with you to the appointment. Then you should be able to avoid the dreaded late fee.

• Helpful
Reactions: StoicKiwi
I received my car this past Saturday. I haven’t received my packet yet, but today was the first day that the tax office showed any open appointments, May 3rd was the soonest. I went ahead and made the appointment, even though it is outside the 30 day window.

I heard about this place called Centex Auto Title. Apparently they are authorized by Travis county as a agent for title and registration services, and charge a fee of $30 for their services, but they take walk ins. So my plan is to swing by there once I get my paperwork packet.

Reactions: TechOps
I received my car this past Saturday. I haven’t received my packet yet, but today was the first day that the tax office showed any open appointments, May 3rd was the soonest. I went ahead and made the appointment, even though it is outside the 30 day window.

I heard about this place called Centex Auto Title. Apparently they are authorized by Travis county as a agent for title and registration services, and charge a fee of $30 for their services, but they take walk ins. So my plan is to swing by there once I get my paperwork packet.
Yes, if you want to pay extra there are a number of independent companies that can process the title in a more convenient way. Tesla even includes a flyer for one of them in the paperwork packet they'll be sending to you.

I took my packet to the Credit Union where I financed the car, as soon as I received it. They took care of everything at no additional expense to me. They took the money out of my savings account that was designated for that purpose explicitly. Full disclosure, they have done MANY Tesla loans before mine and knew the routine. Most banks and credit unions I've dealt with prefer to do the paperwork for you so they are assured that it gets done.

To circle back on this, I went to Centex Auto Title last Monday. I got there about 11:45AM and was in and out in about 20 minutes. The process was pretty easy. The paperwork packet I received from Tesla had everything filled out. Just had to sign the title application and the manufacture’s certificate of origin.

I did try to make an appointment with the county tax office, but the soonest they had was 5 weeks out.

For both my cars they were sent at the same time. Of course way later than 30 days. I went to the one on Elm St. They wanted to charge me a late fee. I was able to get them to waive it by showing them I just had the inspection done and they used that date. YMMV.