Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Going to Fail To Deliver an Inventory Car in Time as Claimed to Complete FSD Transfer - What To Do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update - Went in to the service center with all of my documentations and numbers printed out and spoke with the lead manager. They “found” my car - it’s on a boat that’s currently arriving in Honolulu. However, they have to get these cars (over 200 cars she said) unloaded, washed/cleaned, prepped for delivery, and to pass the state safety inspection before delivery can be scheduled. She said they had no control over which cars would be unloaded first, but that if mine was in the first batch unloaded and processed, there was a small chance it would be available for delivery on Saturday September 30. She said there were several other buyers in the exact same situation as myself here in Honolulu. She promised to take over my file and would text me the second my car becomes available for delivery if it happens on Saturday.

I asked about transferring my discount to the red MYP they had in inventory - she said she could not transfer the discount, nor give me a 10% off showroom discount or anything like that. Said discounts are assigned to specific VINs only and she has no control over the discount numbers.

Trying to play a wild card, I asked if there was any chance they could force a discount to appear on a white demo Model S plaid because it was listed as a demo car, but showing NO discount at all which did not make sense. I told her that if she could somehow make a 10% discount appear, I would gladly change over to that one and buy it instead. She said she couldn’t do anything either.

So now it’s just a wait and see game to see if it can be delivered on Saturday. If not, then see if the FSD offer gets extended or not, or those who started the process before September 30 are allowed to complete the transfer past the 30th or not. If not… Probably cancel the reservation outright.

After that, I stopped by the local BMW dealer who has a 2023 Model S Plaid in red listed for $93,990 with about 1,500 miles on it and some gnarly scrapes on the front air dam. They’ve had it posted for a while. About $100k out the door after taxes and documentation. Explained to them that Tesla slashed prices recently. They said no, and that the Plaid was selling for $130 to $150k. I told them to look it up. They did, showing me old pricing articles. I showed them the white base white demo Plaid with 11 miles on it for 91k on tesla.com. They said it was “base” and “demo”. Tried to make them look at other Plaids on the Tesla site. They were having none of it. Tried to get them to agree to 80k out the door. They said they could not even do 80k plus fees/tax because they “paid too much on it” as a trade-in. They said they were sure they would sell it at their price too. I told them to give me a holler when they gave up on trying to sell it. Long-ass shot but who knows? I just want to go to a hatch back in my next Tesla and for it to at least be mildly entertaining when I punch the go-fast pedal.

-Paul

Quick update - Went in to the service center with all of my documentations and numbers printed out and spoke with the lead manager. They “found” my car - it’s on a boat that’s currently arriving in Honolulu. However, they have to get these cars (over 200 cars she said) unloaded, washed/cleaned, prepped for delivery, and to pass the state safety inspection before delivery can be scheduled. She said they had no control over which cars would be unloaded first, but that if mine was in the first batch unloaded and processed, there was a small chance it would be available for delivery on Saturday September 30. She said there were several other buyers in the exact same situation as myself here in Honolulu. She promised to take over my file and would text me the second my car becomes available for delivery if it happens on Saturday.

I asked about transferring my discount to the red MYP they had in inventory - she said she could not transfer the discount, nor give me a 10% off showroom discount or anything like that. Said discounts are assigned to specific VINs only and she has no control over the discount numbers.

Trying to play a wild card, I asked if there was any chance they could force a discount to appear on a white demo Model S plaid because it was listed as a demo car, but showing NO discount at all which did not make sense. I told her that if she could somehow make a 10% discount appear, I would gladly change over to that one and buy it instead. She said she couldn’t do anything either.

So now it’s just a wait and see game to see if it can be delivered on Saturday. If not, then see if the FSD offer gets extended or not, or those who started the process before September 30 are allowed to complete the transfer past the 30th or not. If not… Probably cancel the reservation outright.

After that, I stopped by the local BMW dealer who has a 2023 Model S Plaid in red listed for $93,990 with about 1,500 miles on it and some gnarly scrapes on the front air dam. They’ve had it posted for a while. About $100k out the door after taxes and documentation. Explained to them that Tesla slashed prices recently. They said no, and that the Plaid was selling for $130 to $150k. I told them to look it up. They did, showing me old pricing articles. I showed them the white base white demo Plaid with 11 miles on it for 91k on tesla.com. They said it was “base” and “demo”. Tried to make them look at other Plaids on the Tesla site. They were having none of it. Tried to get them to agree to 80k out the door. They said they could not even do 80k plus fees/tax because they “paid too much on it” as a trade-in. They said they were sure they would sell it at their price too. I told them to give me a holler when they gave up on trying to sell it. Long-ass shot but who knows? I just want to go to a hatch back in my next Tesla and for it to at least be mildly entertaining when I punch the go-fast pedal.

-Paul
you've done the best you can, I believe the SC is trying the best they can to help you out within their powers. Just sit tight, relax and let the chips fall where they may. Eff that BMW dealership. I hope they take a massive loss on that plaid.

Reactions: Deaf Paul
Just got a call from the dealer saying they think there is a 20% chance they will be able to deliver the vehicle carrier direct to me this week. If not I start all over and they keep my deposit, etc. Not the end of the world as I don't need the vehicle however any incentives/price adjustments go away as well. Wasn't the guy on the phones fault but a crummy practice by Tesla. They are working hard on a solution and I'm confident will make it right, but added stress/drama needlessly.
Dealer called back and said if I can meet him at the border they would deliver and not charge 3rd party carrier. Was able to get there and pick up the car today. Drove it home (170 miles) and wow was it a blast! Car was in terrific shape. 2-3 minor rock chips from their drive but these can be fixed. So far everything else looked terrific. Going to get it out on the light tomorrow with a more discerning eye. Blown away with how fun the car is to drive. Need to take some time to familiarize myself with everything but so far so good. Thanks for all of your help.

1695932063960.png

That said... I'm anxiously awaiting official confirmation from Tesla. So far this news seems to be based on one tweet (not from Tesla nor Elon) and a few bits of hearsay from buyers.

And I'll also note that some other online "reporting" about this notes that you may be required to complete pre-delivery tasks by Sept 30 to qualify. If that's the case, folks will need to be careful not to procrastinate on that stuff.

View attachment 977947

That said... I'm anxiously awaiting official confirmation from Tesla. So far this news seems to be based on one tweet (not from Tesla nor Elon) and a few bits of hearsay from buyers.

And I'll also note that some other online "reporting" about this notes that you may be required to complete pre-delivery tasks by Sept 30 to qualify. If that's the case, folks will need to be careful not to procrastinate on that stuff.
just wanted to give a bit of hopium lol. hopefully it works out for my bros and sis.

Reactions: jsmay311
Somebody that I personally know in person said that he talked with a sales advisor either today or yesterday who said that she got an email from Tesla saying confirming that those who completed all the predelivery steps and started the FSD transfer process by Sept 30, but were unable to take delivery due to Tesla's end, would have the FSD transfer honored. However that email is not for public release which is why it couldn't be shared or shown. So I'm not convinced that email actually exists.

Regardless it's still all "he said, she said" until Tesla actually says it to the public.

I'll be holding my breath til' then - it's a good thing I can hold my breath for a long time. 😅

-Paul

Reactions: jsmay311
I don't recall how deep I went with that shark - probably no deeper than 100' as it starts to get a little too dark for comfort in the deep blue. Where there's a bottom with more light reflected back up, I've gone as deep as 174' on a single breath hold. I could have gone deeper as 200' has been a long time goal of mine, but I no longer have the thoraic flexibility to push enough air to continue clearing my ears manually.

Wow, I wonder how I would have reacted when seeing a shark !!!! Certainly not holding its tail to get a free ride...
I was one time doing scuba diving inside the wreck of a shipping boat and a conger eel, about six feet long, passed next to me.
This was kind of a frightening situation and I still remember its large head with a wide mouth and numerous teeth.

I swim almost every day in a pool for about an hour, so when I am in vacation like in Hawaii, I like to swim a little bit offshore
and parallel to the beach for a mile or so. But last time I was there, I started to be worrisome with all those shark alerts.
I think I have been lucky because last time I was there, at each of the different beach I went, there was a shark attack the following day !!!
Even the downtown Waikiki beach, that I resigned to used as a result, but too crowded for my taste, had to be closed after a bad incident.

I remember swimming in La Perouse Bay, in Maui and having a group of dauphins moving toward me. I didn't feel too comfortable,
and stopped swimming. Lucky for me, I noticed that the dauphin leader made a sudden dive and all the other dauphins did the same.
I wish I had a camera as watching those dauphins passing below me, was quite memorable while a little bit scary at the same time.

I've heard that the one supercharger station here on the island is the worst in the nation - always a line several cars deep waiting, even in the small hours of the morning. It's funny when local Tesla drivers share screenshots of their Nav system suggesting that they navigate to a less busy supercharging center... 2,000 miles away across the ocean. 😅

Better not renting an EV then, I think that I drove about two thousand miles during my last trip, and I remember the Costco lines at the gas station.

Note: Good luck getting your Model X and FSD transferred.