Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty coverage for dragging brakes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my RWD M3, I noticed that I can hear the brakes on the front of the car dragging a bit. I took a look and there's a clear difference on the rotors as a result of this. I'm sure it's nothing serious, and just that the pads are dragging a bit so they just need to be cleaned up a bit. But I'm a little disappointed about the rotor surface being as it is. Does this kind of thing get covered by warranty? I can certainly take apart the brakes myself, I just didn't want to bother with it if this is covered in the warranty. But it's so hard to get anyone from tesla on the phone, so I figured I'd ask here if anyone had experience with it.

IMG_20200601_164222.jpg IMG_20200601_164230.jpg

What you have there is not dragging brakes but lack of use brakes.

“Within spec” as Tesla would say.

The difference is not the problem. The problem is you are not stopping enough, hard enough.

All rotors will rust. Braking cleans them. On our EVs, we tend to not use as much brakes so rotor corrosion is more of a thing.

Reactions: android04
Tesla in recommends yearly brake service, particularly, if you live in the rust belt. I just had mine serviced, because I was hearing the same brake sound you reported. It cost $176, which seemed steep to me. Perhaps, I could have had them cleaned elsewhere for less.

The issue is lack of use. The pads only pull back from the rotor a tiny bit when you let off the pedal, and the rust makes the rotor grow in thickness. Lay on the brakes a few times and its solved for a bit. This is a good idea in any vehicle where the brakes don't get used frequently, ICE or EV. This is a big problem with any vehicle in areas with a lot of precipitation, or salted roads. The rear caliper slides need to be cleaned and lubricated every year or two in those conditions as well.