Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes and brake service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a brake service last summer, but my brakes are now making noise, and the rotors are literally started flaking apart. Tesla wants $4k for brakes (not sure what planet they're on!).
Does anyone have any suggestions for types of rotors and pads that won't rust as quickly as the stuff Tesla puts on? Simply saying coated or something else won't be helpful as each brand and composition is likely different. I don't mind spending a couple of extra bucks if I'm getting quality and better longevity.

I did a brake service last summer, but my brakes are now making noise, and the rotors are literally started flaking apart. Tesla wants $4k for brakes (not sure what planet they're on!).
I don’t have a suggestion for replacements, but one of the things I do everyday is hit the brakes once or twice to keep them moving. One pedal driving is great, but brakes need to be “excercised”. Especially in winter, in a salty slushy place like Ottawa.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Depending on the model, you may be able to buy non-Tesla parts.
Some are Tesla-specific currently, such as front discs and rear pads on the Model 3 Performance.
Even if you have to buy the Tesla parts, they're just brakes so nothing special is needed to replace them.

I serviced the brakes on my previous Model S after 300,000 km. Replaced pads and rotors which I ordered from Rockauto. Despite being located in the US, they quote in CAD$ and their shipping costs are quite reasonable. I bought the premium rotors which did not display any rust foe the first year.
Question : "Brake is brake" and can be serviced by ANY reputable shop, correct? BTW after 187K miles for brake service ? very good

Reactions: richyrich
2018 Model 3 LR. Any recommendations where to purchase the parts?
I have a 2018 M3 RWD and had a similar issue. Tesla wanted to replace both pads and rotor. Common sense dictates that my rotor was ok. The front was squeaking. I got the pads from Amazon (Wagner) and changed the pads myself. The Brembo original pads came off from their backing plate. Car now at 220,000 Kms. Brake pads holding up well for 100,000+ kms. But use the brakes often in the winter by going to low regen

I have a 2018 M3 RWD and had a similar issue. Tesla wanted to replace both pads and rotor. Common sense dictates that my rotor was ok. The front was squeaking. I got the pads from Amazon (Wagner) and changed the pads myself. The Brembo original pads came off from their backing plate. Car now at 220,000 Kms. Brake pads holding up well for 100,000+ kms. But use the brakes often in the winter by going to low regen
How many KM did your 2018 M3 LR have before you changed the brakes?

IMG_20220504_113722.jpg