Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We must face facts - meat is the problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Global soils underpin life but future looks ‘bleak’, warns UN report
Certainly there’s hope that we can make soils healthy again,” said Eisenhauer. “I think a lot depends on what we eat. Do we need to eat these massive amounts of cheap meat, for example? Can we rely more on plant-derived calories? I think this is a massive factor.” More than 80% of the world’s farmland is used to raise and feed cattle and other livestock, but these provide only 18% of all calories consumed.

The New York Times: Goodbye, U.S.D.A., Hello, Department of Food and Well-Being.
Opinion | Goodbye, U.S.D.A., Hello, Department of Food and Well-Being

Two thirds of the U.S.D.A.’s $146 billion annual outlay goes to programs addressing nutrition and food insecurity, not to agriculture (or forestry, also in the department’s domain).

With just one cabinet appointment, President-elect Joe Biden could tackle economic inequality, the rural/urban divide, climate change, the growing mistrust of science, systemic racism and even the coronavirus.

That appointment is Secretary of Agriculture.The secretary of agriculture should lead the fight against corporations that have created a toxic food environment and support groups building healthful alternatives. The secretary should champion unity among farmers, rural people and urban advocates for racial and economic justice against the common enemy of consolidation and concentration of wealth. And the secretary should use the department’s vaunted research and extension capacity to support a food system that can rebuild rural economies, regenerate ecological capital, mitigate climate change and provide nourishing food for all.e.

Reactions: ladysbff
The New York Times: Goodbye, U.S.D.A., Hello, Department of Food and Well-Being.
Opinion | Goodbye, U.S.D.A., Hello, Department of Food and Well-Being

Two thirds of the U.S.D.A.’s $146 billion annual outlay goes to programs addressing nutrition and food insecurity, not to agriculture (or forestry, also in the department’s domain).

With just one cabinet appointment, President-elect Joe Biden could tackle economic inequality, the rural/urban divide, climate change, the growing mistrust of science, systemic racism and even the coronavirus.

That appointment is Secretary of Agriculture.The secretary of agriculture should lead the fight against corporations that have created a toxic food environment and support groups building healthful alternatives. The secretary should champion unity among farmers, rural people and urban advocates for racial and economic justice against the common enemy of consolidation and concentration of wealth. And the secretary should use the department’s vaunted research and extension capacity to support a food system that can rebuild rural economies, regenerate ecological capital, mitigate climate change and provide nourishing food for all.e.

Yes, yes, yes.

https://naturalprophets.com/

This is a book I really love, it paints the history of the rise of chemicals in our food and the eventual rise of natural and organic products.

It showed me how much corporations are to blame for the current health crisis we are in. So much of our toxic food environment is by design, for profit. Written by the former director of marketing for Whole Foods.

Reactions: mspohr
Yes, yes, yes.

Natural Prophets - a history of the natural foods industry

This is a book I really love, it paints the history of the rise of chemicals in our food and the eventual rise of natural and organic products.

It showed me how much corporations are to blame for the current health crisis we are in. So much of our toxic food environment is by design, for profit. Written by the former director of marketing for Whole Foods.
I think corporate agriculture (and capitalism in general) is to blame for many of our problems. When you have profit as the sole motivation, you end up with a lot of destructive activities. Our health and the environment are victims. We need to have a healthy society and environment as our primary motivation, not corporate profit.

• Love
Reactions: gavine and ladysbff
I think corporate agriculture (and capitalism in general) is to blame for many of our problems. When you have profit as the sole motivation, you end up with a lot of destructive activities. Our health and the environment are victims. We need to have a healthy society and environment as our primary motivation, not corporate profit.
So true.

One thing that I don't get about ardent defenders of capitalism is this idea that it is good because it has brought millions out of poverty. To me this only shows half of the equation, the other half being that we destroyed the Earth to give just enough temporary (and insufficient) benefits to the working class to make them think it is good. The Earth won't survive this abuse long term. And what do we have to show for it? Endless landfills, toxic air... and so many pushed back into a place of great need after not even a year of COVID-19.

Capitalism as it is now isn't sustainable for the Earth or for the masses.

The way the world is headed now - the disconnect between the stock market and the lived reality of so many - makes me feel like we are headed back towards feudalism.

Reactions: mspohr
Our global fire crisis is the sign of a dying biosphere. But we can take action| Troy Vettese
As arsonist ranchers in Brazil make clear, animal husbandry is part of the problem too. Ranching is the main driver of deforestation in Australia. Deforestation not only leaves plenty of combustible material about, but it also dries out the remaining trees because forests create their own microclimate by releasing water vapor. Even the green giant of the Amazon might shrink to the point where it cannot sustain its cloud cover and degenerate into a savanna.

California too falls under “livestock’s long shadow”. Davis and other experts emphasize how “cheatgrass”, a highly invasive and combustible plant, aggravates wildfires. In his telling, cheatgrass is an effect without a cause, but even the US Department of Agriculture concedes the botanical scourge spreads thanks to overgrazing. And there is plenty of overgrazing in California. It is not Wisconsin but the Golden State that is “America’s dairyland”, a position it holds because of the willingness to dedicate 60% of the vast state to rangeland. Through thirsty fodder crops like alfalfa, the dairy industry guzzles more water than 40 million Californians.

Transitioning myself and the family away from bovine/animal milk. Over the last few weeks have been trying different brands of almond milk and have to say was pleasantly surprised that it is really good - not ok but good. Not a big milk drinker but have an occasional bowl of cereal.

Prefer unsweetened due to taste and don't need or crave the sugar. A few perks: it only costs a small bit more than bovine milk, it has far fewer calories, and shelf life is excellent.

Burn baby burn!

It's certainly not government's business what anyone does to the planet, it's all
"personal choice."/s/

COWSPIRACY: The Sustainability Secret

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

And here I'd heard that transportation accounted for 70% of greenhouse gasses. Animal ag may be 18%, but that's not a whole bunch. Raising PEOPLE might be the root cause.

Reactions: Lloyd
And here I'd heard that transportation accounted for 70% of greenhouse gasses. Animal ag may be 18%, but that's not a whole bunch. Raising PEOPLE might be the root cause.

I'll not disagree--if we're in a lifeboat (i.e. Earth) hurtling through the solar system, do we REALLY want to find out just how many people the lifeboat will carry when it's far too late to do anything about it?

BUT, frankly, that's another topic. If we can't get people to eliminate their animal flesh consumption, which should be far easier than it is in light of the facts, what are the odds of success that people will stop breeding so many human offspring?

Plus, bringing population control to the forefront lights up the religious zealots and then it's "everything goes." Who could ever argue with the majestic words in a book, a book written by ignorants (but supposedly straight from the special man/woman in the sky!) two thousand years ago?

Transitioning myself and the family away from bovine/animal milk. Over the last few weeks have been trying different brands of almond milk and have to say was pleasantly surprised that it is really good - not ok but good. Not a big milk drinker but have an occasional bowl of cereal.

Prefer unsweetened due to taste and don't need or crave the sugar. A few perks: it only costs a small bit more than bovine milk, it has far fewer calories, and shelf life is excellent.
What brands/flavors are you liking?

I tend to go for unsweetened coconut blends -
Unsweet Almondmilk & Coconutmilk Blend | Silk®
Unsweet Coconutmilk | Silk®

I like unsweetened soy, too, when I want the protein.

Reactions: iPlug
Haven't had a bad unsweetened one.
Open Nature Almond Milk Original Unsweetened
Unsweetened Silk Almond Milk
Unsweetened Great Value Almond Milk
Unsweetened FTW! Cool that there are private label options from the big box stores, makes sense. I usually shop at Grocery Outlet (Bargain Market lol) which has random inventory, so it's interesting to see where other people shop and what the selection is.

"Regular" sweetened plant based milk (and yogurt) is so sweet to me. I am a fan of sweets but why put sugar in staples like milk and yogurt? I've seen unsweetened milks and yogurt gain shelf space in natural/organic stores over the past year so happy to see that trend changing.

I'm game for the solutions at the end of the article.

Have tried soy and oat and would pass up "milk" entirely in that case as do not find these milks tasty. Cashew was suggested to me and tried that and while ok, not as good as almond to these taste buds. Also heard macadamia is good. Have not tried it yet. Pricy, but will give it a shot in the next few months.

Oat and soy are really the best IMO as they can be grown domestically, organically, and affordably at scale. But oat doesn't agree with me. I try to avoid nut milks because they tend to be worse for the producers and are water intensive.

I usually go for soy-based beverages but enjoy the coconut products a bit more.

Almonds are out. Dairy is a disaster. So what milk should we drink?

_105755173_milk_alternatives-updated-optimised-nc.png

This doesn't make a distinction for organic vs nonorganic, though. But that's a more complex convo.
Is Organic Farming Really Worse for the Climate? A Response - Rodale Institute

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr and iPlug
Makes me feel better that I bought several pounds of oatmeal from Costco recently. 1 cup oatmeal + 2 cups water is only 300 Calories. Add a tablespoon of honey for 65 more Calories and cinnamon to taste. Healthy and environmentally sound way to fill and warm you up this winter.

Is Dairy Farming Cruel to Cows? Is Dairy Farming Cruel to Cows?

Some of their claims are beyond dispute: Dairy cows are repeatedly impregnated by artificial insemination and have their newborns taken away at birth. Female calves are confined to individual pens and have their horn buds destroyed when they are about eight weeks old. The males are not so lucky. Soon after birth, they are trucked off to veal farms or cattle ranches where they end up as hamburger meat. The typical dairy cow in the United States will spend its entire life inside a concrete-floored enclosure, and although they can live 20 years, most are sent to slaughter after four or five years when their milk production wanes.