Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We must face facts - meat is the problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mspohr
You've posted a lot of interesting links and info. I hope that Tony Seba is correct.
The beef industry, the corn industry... I mean just about everything is so destructive. Our system is just lobbyists with policy makers in their pockets.

There are many ingredients that are widespread here that are flat out illegal in Europe (or used to be).
I had hopes but regarding food, it seems more like "make the world America" rather than real change. It's pretty depressing and overwhelming when you look into it.

Maybe it's been discussed, but plant based options like almond milk are problematic as well. The amount of water waste is astounding.

I'm not so keen on impossible meat because it's just a highly processed food product with GMO's and chemically processed oils.
I'd rather eat a real burger or steak.
I understand these "meat alternatives" are trying to be transitional foods for meat.

Certainly interesting thread to read through

@mspohr
You've posted a lot of interesting links and info. I hope that Tony Seba is correct.
The beef industry, the corn industry... I mean just about everything is so destructive. Our system is just lobbyists with policy makers in their pockets.

There are many ingredients that are widespread here that are flat out illegal in Europe (or used to be).
I had hopes but regarding food, it seems more like "make the world America" rather than real change. It's pretty depressing and overwhelming when you look into it.

Maybe it's been discussed, but plant based options like almond milk are problematic as well. The amount of water waste is astounding.

I'm not so keen on impossible meat because it's just a highly processed food product with GMO's and chemically processed oils.
I understand these "meat alternatives" are trying to be transitional foods for meat.

Certainly interesting thread to read through
Nut milks use more water but still less than cow milk. I've switched to oat and soy which are very efficient.
Not big on fake meats either.

There is no data at all that GMO plants are harmful in any way and I hate to break it to you but "a real burger or steak" is just highly chemically processed plant materials, the processing just takes place inside animals. Animals which have been genetically modified by centuries of selective breading by the way.

Reactions: dhrivnak and mspohr
There is no data at all that GMO plants are harmful in any way and I hate to break it to you but "a real burger or steak" is just highly chemically processed plant materials, the processing just takes place inside animals. Animals which have been genetically modified by centuries of selective breading by the way.
yeah you're right, nothing wrong with gmo and meat is just the same as chemically processed oils.
Oh well.

Reactions: dhrivnak
yeah you're right, nothing wrong with gmo and meat is just the same as chemically processed oils.
Oh well.
Show the science that counteracts my statements. I'll help you out, here are the ingredients in Impossible Burger:

Ingredients: Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Sunflower Oil, Coconut Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% Or Less Of: Methylcellulose, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Yeast Extract, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Mixed Tocopherols (Antioxidant), L-tryptophan, Soy Protein Isolate

Vitamins and Minerals: Zinc Gluconate, Niacin, Thiamine Hydrochloride(Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12

Impossible Beef contains an allium derivative. Alliums are the family of plants that includes garlic, onion, shallots, and others.

Show the science that counteracts my statements. I'll help you out, here are the ingredients in Impossible Burger:

Ingredients: Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Sunflower Oil, Coconut Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% Or Less Of: Methylcellulose, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Yeast Extract, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Mixed Tocopherols (Antioxidant), L-tryptophan, Soy Protein Isolate

Vitamins and Minerals: Zinc Gluconate, Niacin, Thiamine Hydrochloride(Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12

Impossible Beef contains an allium derivative. Alliums are the family of plants that includes garlic, onion, shallots, and others.
Say that 6 times fast. 👀

No One Wants to Say ‘Put Down That Burger,’ but We Really Should https://nyti.ms/3j5CbsO

The first is to eat less meat, which would be a lot easier if meat weren’t so beloved and delicious. Limiting access to cheeseburgers can turn politicians into ex-politicians, so it’s no coincidence that the Montreal draft mentions changing diets only in passing in its 16th target. But the inconvenient truth is that when we eat cows, chickens and other livestock, we might as well be eating macaws, jaguars and other endangered species. That’s because livestock chew up far more land per calorie than crops. Producing beef is 100 times as land-intensive as cultivating potatoes and 55 times as land-intensive as peas or nuts. Livestock now use nearly 80 percent of agricultural land while producing less than 20 percent of calories. Cattle are the leading driver of deforestation in the Amazon, followed by soybeans, another commodity, which get fed to pigs and chickens.

Climate impact labels could help people eat less red meat

In the UK, Henry Dimbleby, the government’s food tsar, recently said it was politically impossible for a government to tell people to stop eating as much meat. About 85% of agricultural land in England is used as grazing pasture for animals such as cows or to grow food which is then fed to livestock. Dimbleby believes a 30% meat reduction over 10 years is required for land to be used sustainably in England, while Greenpeace argues for a 70% reduction. The clinical trial, published in the journal Jama Network Open, has found that consumers respond well to climate labelling on their foods.

The study authors, from Johns Hopkins and Harvard universities, said: “Animal-based food production, primarily driven by beef production, is responsible for 14.5% of global greenhouse gas emissions and is an important modifiable contributor to climate change. “In the United States, meat consumption, red meat consumption in particular, consistently exceeds recommended levels based on national dietary guidelines. Shifting current dietary patterns toward more sustainable diets with lower amounts of red meat consumed could reduce diet-related greenhouse gas emissions by up to 55%.

The authors said: “We found that labelling red meat items with negatively framed, red high–climate impact labels was more effective at increasing sustainable selections than labelling non–red meat items with positively framed, green low–climate impact labels.”

Well, this is just out-there astounding....

Unlike many diseases, toxoplasmosis isn’t spread person to person. Instead, it comes from consuming food infected by the parasite—generally undercooked meat—or from contact with animal waste.

… the personality of infected men showed lower superego strength and higher vigilance. Thus, the men were more likely to disregard rules and were more expedient, suspicious, jealous, and dogmatic.

Suspicious. Jealous. Quicker to make an immediate judgment. Less willing to listen to others. Guys who were ready to break the rules if it helped them personally. Sound familiar? Other factors, such as self-control and even “clothes tidiness” were found to be decreased by infection. Here’s another one: Infected men scored significantly lower than uninfected men when it came to establishing relationships with women.

The personality of infected women, by contrast, showed higher warmth and higher superego strength, suggesting that they were more warm hearted, outgoing, conscientious, persistent, and moralistic.

• Informative
Reactions: 1965Falcon and JRP3
The Guardian: Ministers ‘run scared’ of targeting meat consumption in land use strategy. Ministers ‘run scared’ of targeting meat consumption in land use strategy

The government has been accused of being “pathetically nervous” about encouraging the public to eat less meat after excluding the aim from a key strategy. The Guardian can reveal that the government’s upcoming land use strategy will not include a reduction in area used for animal agriculture in England. Climate groups have long been urging the government to take steps to reduce meat consumption, and are now accusing ministers of “worsening the cost of living crisis and continuing to lead us towards climate and ecological catastrophe”. Eighty-five per cent of the land that feeds the UK is committed to animal agriculture. A government-commissioned food strategy by Henry Dimbleby last year found that for a sustainable future, this has to be reduced, leading to a 30% cut in the average amount of meat consumption. Intensive and excessive animal agriculture leads to carbon emissions as well as pollution and the degradation of nature. It also uses an amount of land found by experts to be unsustainable.

Vox.com: The meat industry’s antibiotic drug problem, explained. Big Meat just can’t quit antibiotics

For decades, evidence had amassed that the widespread use of antibiotics to help chickens, pigs, and cattle grow faster — and survive the crowded conditions of factory farms — was causing bacteria to mutate and develop resistance to antibiotics. By 2009, US agriculture companies were buying up two-thirds of what are termed medically important antibiotics — those used in human medicine. This in turn has made those precious, lifesaving drugs less effective for people.