Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wear inside front wheel well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am 6 days into my purchase of my first Tesla (Model S 100D 2017). Today I noticed fine dust on the wheels that were heavier than break dust I have not driven the car much since washing it a few days ago. This morning I noticed significant wear on the front wheel wells. Has anyone seen this before?
Screenshot 2022-08-14 at 15.18.54.jpg
IMG_1074.jpeg

The tires are close at stops each way but not touching. I took a video of the car after the driver unloaded it before ever getting into the car for the first time. Looking back at that video, you can see the plastic of the inner wheel well is detached. Wonder if the car bumper hit the trailer ramps when unloading. I am not sure what the laws are in Texas for purchasing an automobile over the internet. I have reached out to the dealer. Not pleased with this purchase.

Very strange. The tires are correct size. And this is on both sides? Does rest of bumper and underneath front look ok? If the wheel liners were detached they must have caught and rubbed tires in turns. I don’t think those wheel liners are expensive or hard to replace. So hopefully a simple fix.

It is strange as the bumper and front of the car look fine, with no visible damage anywhere. The car has the exact size and brand tire on both sides of the vehicle. The tires are not new, and I do not think the issue is with the tires. It looks like the plastic came detached and rubbed the tires while the car was in motion.

I have a 2020 Model S Performance with the 19" stock tempest wheels and 245x45x19 stock tires. I have rubbing in exactly the same spot as your pictures OP, except mine isn't that bad quite yet. I think someone in a different thread posted that it could be bad alignment (caster angle) related? Not sure.

I have seen this on other cars. What happened in those cases is the fender liners were not properly attached so when driving at freeway speeds the liner would bend with the wind toward the tires and rub gently but enough to wear through the liners over time. When the car is stationary without any wind to push the liners toward the tires, they are back in place so it's a mystery.

Easy to check if that's the case with your car. Pull on the liners to see if they are properly secured. The root cause is some crappy and sloppy mechanic work by the previous owner or mechanic.

My rocker arm recently broke and that’s what my well looks like on my Y. I have the part number to purchase but if your car is brand new …. It should be covered. I’d advise though IF You take to a Certified shop you’ll wait. And wait and wait.
(Work is not that good either). Try to find the part. Then get a good body shop to fix. Get reimbursed.

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpeg
    IMG_0354.jpeg
    476.8 KB · Views: 25