Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WeatherTech or Tesla brand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do guys know if there is a difference between these aside from cosmetics?
I know Tesla brand was created by WeatherTech.
I'm wondering if there is a difference in fit, material, etc.

The mats you get through Tesla are made of significantly "cushier" material than the stuff I had bought directly from WeatherTech in the past. WeatherTech mats are made from harder plastic that can get slippery when your feet are wet, but is a bit probably more durable.

WeatherTech branded mats also tend to have more significant lip around the edge of the mat, creating a "dirt basin". However, I never found that to be either useful or desirable, mostly because I never drag ridiculous amounts of mud into my cars anyway, and those "lips" trap dirt.

I really liked the non-slippery and "cushy" property of Tesla branded mats (had to ask to see them in the store to find out).
The price difference was insignificant relative to the competition, so I bought Tesla's.

HTH,
a

Last edited:
I don't like the look of Maxpider and Tuxmats
Weather mats are one of those items where you really should chose function over form. The Maxpider (the Kagu ones) cover the dead pedal -- in rain and winter this is HUGE. As for looks, you don't really see them once they are in unless you have a lot of light shining into your footwells.. If the logo bothers you, just take it off (it's easy). Personally, I think the 3DMAXpider ones look fantastic.

• Love
Reactions: jpfive and P85_DA
I'm a faithful weathertech customer but didn't like the tesla/weathertech mats.

I went with the Maxpider (replaced the 3D badge with a Tesla bade) and am very happy. I went with the weathertech trunk liner and I'm very happy with that as well.

Reactions: jpfive
I don't like the look of Maxpider and Tuxmats

I love the look of Tesla.

I don't see front mats from WeatherTech on their website.

I had the same impression on Maxpider when I bought the car and ended up buying Tesla branded weather tech. Used them for 5 months and they are now sitting in storage. Maxpider has better design, coverage and material than Tesla/WeatherTech mats.

I ended up buying Maxpider for wife’s Lexus RX as well.

Reactions: malou
I have the Tesla all-weather mats (not the whitelabeled weathertech mats). They are awesome. Super durable and easy to clean.

The weathertech floor mats are no good. Over time the edges tend to curl in. Also they are near impossible to clean. They might look clean while wet, but when they dry out, they look like you didn't even wash them. The Tesla all-weather mats clean up well. And I live in an area with heavy salt and sand in the winter.

That said, I have the Tesla-branded Weathertech mat in my trunk. That is holding up well.

I have the Tesla all-weather mats (not the whitelabeled weathertech mats). They are awesome. Super durable and easy to clean.

The weathertech floor mats are no good. Over time the edges tend to curl in. Also they are near impossible to clean. They might look clean while wet, but when they dry out, they look like you didn't even wash them. The Tesla all-weather mats clean up well. And I live in an area with heavy salt and sand in the winter.

That said, I have the Tesla-branded Weathertech mat in my trunk. That is holding up well.

Are you saying you have these mats sold on tesla.com?

Model 3 All Weather Interior Mats

Are you saying you have these mats sold on tesla.com?

Model 3 All Weather Interior Mats

Yes, those mats were awesome this past winter. Even though they don't ride the sides very high, they fit very well and not a lot of grime gets onto the carpeted parts. The material is somewhat grippy and rubbery. They also wash easily.

I like that the rear is 2 pieces. I had the 1 piece Tesla-branded weathertech in my S and it's a pain in the ass to get out to wash. you end up dumping a lot of sand into the car trying to get it out. Pre-vacuum doesn't always get it all out since the salt makes the sand stick. Then when you inevitably bend the thing to get it out, it knocks loose a ton of sand.

Yes, those mats were awesome this past winter. Even though they don't ride the sides very high, they fit very well and not a lot of grime gets onto the carpeted parts. The material is somewhat grippy and rubbery. They also wash easily.

I like that the rear is 2 pieces. I had the 1 piece Tesla-branded weathertech in my S and it's a pain in the ass to get out to wash. you end up dumping a lot of sand into the car trying to get it out. Pre-vacuum doesn't always get it all out since the salt makes the sand stick. Then when you inevitably bend the thing to get it out, it knocks loose a ton of sand.

Thank you.

What do you mean by these?

Is this from Tesla (sold out) or from WeatherTech?
They look very similar to me except the logo.

Thank you.

What do you mean by these?
"That said, I have the Tesla-branded Weathertech mat in my trunk. That is holding up well."

Is this from Tesla (sold out) or from WeatherTech?
They look very similar to me except the logo.

Yeah, the trunk mat that's available on tesla.com is manufacturered by weathertech but branded "Model 3" instead of "WeatherTech." Because that mat doesn't get grungy from salty/sandy feet, it stays fairly clean. It's perfect for catching any water or snow that runs off from the rear glass.

You can buy the same mat directly from weathertech. It will be branded "WeatherTech" though. functionally it's the same.

Yeah, the trunk mat that's available on tesla.com is manufacturered by weathertech but branded "Model 3" instead of "WeatherTech." Because that mat doesn't get grungy from salty/sandy feet, it stays fairly clean. It's perfect for catching any water or snow that runs off from the rear glass.

You can buy the same mat directly from weathertech. It will be branded "WeatherTech" though. functionally it's the same.

Thank you.

I think I'll do what you did.

Buy the rear trunk mats from WeatherTech.
Buy the all weather mats for front and rear from Tesla.