Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird crackling sound from steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you guys ever heard this before? Basically when I'm going really slow (1-5 mph) and I turn the steering wheel, it makes this weird crack crack crack sound.

I've read multiple threads on it - some say u-joint, some say control arm, some say its just some tightening of bolts that needs to be done, etc.

Here's a youtube link with what it sounds like:

I just want to ensure this isn't something dangerous and that I should be okay to continue driving until I can get it checked out.

Another member, from another thread, had said:

"If it clicks/pops while the car is stationary as well, it def is the steering rack bolts that need replacing/shims added by the SB @ShawnA mentioned. My P85D was affected shortly after I picked up the car. Ranger performed the fix."

Curious if what I'm hearing here is the same thing as this. My car does this noise when stationary, not just when driving at low speeds.

Update!

Weird cracking sound in steering wheel is simple. It's SHIM PLATES. Just wanted to update this incase anyone else ever experiences the problem. The shim plates are located in the steering column. Replacement cost for me was $250. Happy it was something easy :)