Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird Option Codes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pulled the Option codes on my 2017 Model S 90D via the JSON and found something odd. The option codes the car returns are:

AD15,MDL3,PBSB,RENA,BT37,ID3W,RF3G,S3PB,DRLH,DV2W,W39B,APF0,COUS,BC3B,CH07,PC30,FC3P,FG31,GLFR,HL31,HM31,IL31,LTPB,MR31,FM3B,RS3H,SA3P,STCP,SC04,SU3C,T3CA,TW00

According to everything I find online, the MDL3 means my car is a Model 3! Clearly Tesla has either changed what the option codes mean or there is something funky going on. Car is on 2019.28.31.1 for software.

Perhaps @verygreen or one of the other uber root folks know what is going on?

Yep. Something odd going on with how Tesla is tracking our cars and using the option codes to identify car configuration. I'd like to believe it is part of some plan to unify everything but suspect we are seeing the results of some coding changes made (possibly the same ones affecting the MyTesla page everyone is talking about) that were not fully tested/understood by the software team.

This looks like a new bug in the API implementation. The option codes I get are totally wrong - wrong car model, wrong AP version (it says 2.5 but I have no AP), wrong options, even wrong colour. It's like it is returning some random/demo list of option codes.

These wrong option codes are totally screwing up TeslaFi. You used to be able to see if an update was going to AP2.5 or AP2.0 but now every car is seen as AP2.5 unless you go into the Advanced settings and override your settings to make it AP2.0. I noticed this with my last update. It showed my car on the fleet list but said I had 2.5. That's when I looked at my option codes and saw they were all wrong. I think it even says I have a model 3 when I have an S.

The option codes being reported by my car are

AD15,MDL3,PBSB,RENA,BT37,ID3W,RF3G,S3PB,DRLH,DV2W,W39B,APF0,COUS,BC3B,CH07,PC30,FC3P,FG31,GLFR,HL31,HM31,IL31,LTPB,MR31,FM3B,RS3H,SA3P,STCP,SC04,SU3C,T3CA,TW00,TM00,UT3P,WR00,AU3P,APH3,AF00,ZCST,MI00,CDM0

... which are exactly the same as in post #1 up to TW00. I'm guessing that poster truncated the list and they are exactly the same on all cars, which suggests a bug that is returning a default list of codes. More than half of the codes are wrong for my car.

Hopefully this will be fixed in 10.0. My car is on 2019.28.31.

It is on Tesla's end. At some point in the last 90 days the option codes returned through the API all changed or got swapped out for some reason. Tesla maintains that there is no issue and they have no responsibility for what the API puts out...of course the purpose of the API it to allow interface so they really aren't supporting it right now...

I noticed last night when trying to check that my FSD update showed up in the codes but I too have the same codes as above.

AD15,MDL3,PBSB,RENA,BT37,ID3W,RF3G,S3PB,DRLH,DV2W,W39B,APF0,COUS,BC3B,CH07,PC30,FC3P,FG31,GLFR,HL31,HM31,IL31,LTPB,MR31,FM3B,RS3H,SA3P,STCP,SC04,SU3C,T3CA,TW00,TM00,UT3P,WR00,AU3P,APH3,AF00,ZCST,MI00,CDM0

So basically have no idea anymore what my car is actually being recognised as and as sevenout said, it is totally screwing external sources.

I looked at various sources online and my UK Tesla Model S 75D MCU1 AP2.5 FSD is now a China Model 3 with crikey knows what features - ok I wouldn't knock having MCU2 magically appear and the 3.0 computer but as clever (or bad) as software coding can be that would be just amazing (yes I am joking before I get told I am stupid or something worse) but in all seriousness Tesla changing all this totally screws having API capabilities and if they make everyone the same how is anything (even perhaps there systems in the end) going to tell who has what

I also started seeing the weird MDL3 code showing up for my model S. I first noticed this about 2-3 months ago right after an update. I was checking for the FSD option code to show up when I purchased it 4-5 month ago. Like posted by @sevenout it looks like something on their servers are not on the car. My servers/api are also returning an option code of SC04 - Pay per use SCing, when I know I have free super charging for life (at least I hope or I will be getting a big bill).
When I go online to tesla.com and check the details of my car, I see that it has the right stats ie FSD and Free lifetime supercharging. It is kinda annoying. But otherwise my car is functioning normally. I will try to bring this up w/ the service center rep. They are swamped right now w/ end of qtr but perhaps 2weeks into oct, I will ask them if they know anything about it.