Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

weird TPMS behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

astrorob

stealth performance M3
Aug 27, 2014
oakland, ca
just got a "pull over now" emergency notification on my M3P; service menu said right rear tire was at 13lbs. checking with a tire gauge revealed 42lbs after filling a little bit of air into the tire.

subsequently after getting going again the car gave a normal pressure reading for that tire.

is this a failing TPMS battery? or just a glitch? the car is just over 3 years old at this point.

Hmmm .... what did your tire guage say before putting air in?

well, no idea. this is because my wife was driving and she called me, then went to a gas station to try to see what their air gauge attached to the pump might say. however, it was clearly broken (read 3lb on a tire the car was not complaining about) and so i told her not to try to put too much air into the tire. anyway there's no way she put 30-odd pounds into the tire, and i had recently topped them off to 40lb.

i told her to go park someplace and i'd go pick her up, but then she discovered i had left a tire pressure gauge in the driver's side door (which i had forgotten about). checking with that showed the aforementioned 42lb.

I would guess a glitch. My G37 is 12 years old and TPMS sensors are still good.

yeah i agree, same with my 12-year old prius. still, wondered if something like this had happened to anyone else. i tend to take the TPMS seriously since once in another prius i really did have a totally flat tire when the idiot light came on.

Reactions: zoomer0056
LOLLLL, TPMS 2, rob 0.

the tire really was flat. i can't believe my wife actually managed to get the tire to within 2 pounds of the label without a gauge. just unbelievable.

the neighbors are doing a home renovation and their contractors must have spilled some drywall screws on the ground cause that's what i found in the tire.