Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Welp, we're now a 2 EV household...............and the 2nd EV ISN'T A TESLA!!! (ZOMG111ELEVENTY111!!!!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just picked up our 2nd EV, and I have to say that Tesla wasn't even in the running. Not because we don't like Tesla, because we do, but because we liked another EV better on balance - the Genesis GV60. Ours is the "Performance" trim, and the straight-line speed certainly lives up to that moniker, even if the handling doesn't quite.

IMG_1082.jpeg

We'd been thinking we'd need to order one and wait, but lucked out and found an available one in a color combination that SWMBO loved in stock at our local dealership. It's Matte White over Blue Nappa leather, with lime green trim on the seats and dash. Believe me when I say that I'd have NEVER thought she'd choose that color combination, but as soon as she opened the door she was like "I LOVE it - it's both luxurious and sporty!" (this is a woman who shies away from strong colors in every other aspect of her life, so it's truly stunning to me that she likes this, but 🤷‍♂️)

IMG_1086.jpeg

The drive experience is really nice - extremely smooth and quiet, with a comfortable ride and great seats. The adaptive/adjustable suspension does a nice job, though I must say that I'd personally prefer a slightly "tighter" overall demeanor. It's perfect for her though, so that's what matters.

It's not as practical (read: cargo room) as some of the competition, but as we're empty-nesters, practicality wasn't the most important trait.

The cabin tech has a fairly steep learning curve, but we're getting the hang of it.

The audio system sounds really good, and the driving assistance systems seem to work well.

Our first EA charging session went off without a hitch, and the charging speed was truly eye-popping. It was still pulling 137KW at 80% SOC, which is NUTS:

IMG_1110.jpeg

3 years of 30-minute DC fast-charging sessions are included in the purchase price, so for our rare road trips that will be nice. There are also 4 350KW EA chargers less than 20 minutes from home, so we may pop over there from time to time for some free juice.

I bought a Tesla Tap so we can charge the GV60 with our Tesla charging cable, and the charge port location even means that our cable reaches the car with no problem:

IMG_1090.jpeg

Anyway, I'd be glad to answer any questions if anyone has any, but it seems to be a really nice vehicle overall, and we're (she's) happy! ;-)

Tesla Tap.

One other cool feature is that the car audibly says "Charging started" via its external speaker so you know that charging has begun.

Also the lights left of the charge port illuminate to indicate SOC, and the uppermost row of lights flashes while charging as a further indicator of SOC progress:

View attachment 887037
I love the audio, "Charging Started" on Genesis that seems to be played on outside speaker in front of the car. Wish all EVs had this feature

We just picked up our 2nd EV, and I have to say that Tesla wasn't even in the running. Not because we don't like Tesla, because we do, but because we liked another EV better on balance - the Genesis GV60. Ours is the "Performance" trim, and the straight-line speed certainly lives up to that moniker, even if the handling doesn't quite.

View attachment 886946

We'd been thinking we'd need to order one and wait, but lucked out and found an available one in a color combination that SWMBO loved in stock at our local dealership. It's Matte White over Blue Nappa leather, with lime green trim on the seats and dash. Believe me when I say that I'd have NEVER thought she'd choose that color combination, but as soon as she opened the door she was like "I LOVE it - it's both luxurious and sporty!" (this is a woman who shies away from strong colors in every other aspect of her life, so it's truly stunning to me that she likes this, but 🤷‍♂️)

View attachment 886947

The drive experience is really nice - extremely smooth and quiet, with a comfortable ride and great seats. The adaptive/adjustable suspension does a nice job, though I must say that I'd personally prefer a slightly "tighter" overall demeanor. It's perfect for her though, so that's what matters.

It's not as practical (read: cargo room) as some of the competition, but as we're empty-nesters, practicality wasn't the most important trait.

The cabin tech has a fairly steep learning curve, but we're getting the hang of it.

The audio system sounds really good, and the driving assistance systems seem to work well.

Our first EA charging session went off without a hitch, and the charging speed was truly eye-popping. It was still pulling 137KW at 80% SOC, which is NUTS:

View attachment 886945

3 years of 30-minute DC fast-charging sessions are included in the purchase price, so for our rare road trips that will be nice. There are also 4 350KW EA chargers less than 20 minutes from home, so we may pop over there from time to time for some free juice.

I bought a Tesla Tap so we can charge the GV60 with our Tesla charging cable, and the charge port location even means that our cable reaches the car with no problem:

View attachment 886948

Anyway, I'd be glad to answer any questions if anyone has any, but it seems to be a really nice vehicle overall, and we're (she's) happy! ;-)
Congratulations on your new Genesis EV. Like you, I also traded in a Tesla (2018 Performance M3) for Genesis EV, the Electrified G80. Loved Tesla but could not ignore the beauty, ride quality, build quality, luxury features, and 800V with fast charging that Tesla does not match. Still own 2017 MX 100D but will be looking to trade that in probably 2025 for new luxury electric SUV. Love Tesla but not closed minded to other options. I'm new to Genesis but after 10-months, so far it has been perfect and getting much higher range vs EPA estimate.
IMG_0584.jpeg
IMG_0588.jpeg

Reactions: Zcd1
I like my NeoCharge to charge both cars. It plugs into NEMA 14-50. Right side get priority charge (Roadster UMC) and the Model S mobile charger left side.
IMG_0586.jpeg
IMG_0587.jpeg
For my Tesla and new Genesis EV, I installed the dual ClipperCreek (now Enphase) EV charger hard wired to 50amp dedicated circuit. Also comes with two wall mounted holsters to hold both charging cables. Use Tesla provided J1772 adapter for Tesla MX 100D. Both EVs very happy charging off roof solar on new home.

Reactions: Daekwan
Update:

So we recently stored our GV60 in our garage for ~6 months while we were away.

Not being familiar with proper EV long-term storage protocol, I reached out to Genesis Customer Care for guidelines. To my surprise, they suggested only that we disconnect the 12V battery and of course pump up the tire pressures to avoid flat-spotting. They specifically said NOT to leave the car plugged in/on a charger or on a trickle charger, which I thought was odd, but I figured they knew better than me. (and I got their recommendation in writing, just in case...)

Fast forward to today, when my wife returned and needed to use the car, but without me there.

No way she was even going to re-connect the 12V battery, much less deal with any unforeseen issues that might pop up. So, Genesis Roadside Assistance to the rescue!

They showed up within 60 minutes of the request, re-connected the 12V battery and................................................................................................nothing happened.
The car started up right away, no issues. Checked the tire pressure, charged it from 72%-88% and away she went!

tl;dr: Nothing bad happened, which is exactly what we were hoping for!

And Genesis helped out as per their promises. So, YAY!