Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Y to Audi e-tron: a Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the Audi dealer in my town has 8... Q4 e-trons. 236 miles per charge, 295 hp, yes awd, and yes very nice inside and out. Loved all the Audi's we had..1989 90s, 2003 TT, 2012 TT,2014 Q5, 2017 TTS...lots of fun. But for an EV...with a starting price ( at our dealer ) of $63, 905 for the least expensive Q4 they have, give me an Tesla Model Y.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noflash
Don’t you love that we have more and more choices? I think it’s great and you played a role in making BEVs more mainstream by buying that Tesla a few years back. Nice comparison.

I’ve always had a preference for European cars and had driven VW, Audi and Benz, among others. The latter two had noticeably nicer and more luxuries interiors. I loved the driving dynamic, but I must say Tesla caught up in that regard. They drive great. If they could also get the fit, finish and luxury down that would be awesome.

Congrats!

Reactions: sleepydoc
Audi has advantages as well. It's rock solid, with far better fit and finish, a more luxurious interior, and is far quieter and rides far smoother.
Thanks for an excellent and well balanced comparison.

As a former Audi owner I can say comparing fit and finish on the Audi vs the Tesla is a bit like comparing the Four Seasons to a Best Western. From my experience, your comments on city vs highway driving are also spot on.

The other thing I can say Is Audis are *expensive* to repair.

Reactions: DomDeWild

As a former Audi owner I can say comparing fit and finish on the Audi vs the Tesla is a bit like comparing the Four Seasons to a Best Western. From my experience, your comments on city vs highway driving are also spot on.

Tesla’s aren’t inexpensive either!

We're a retired couple who decided to consolidate from two cars to one EV. Since my wife didn't like the lack of physical controls and minimalism of my 2020 Model Y, we're trying a 2024 Audi Q4 e-tron - the all-wheel drive version - instead. We don't road trip much and do 99 percent of our charging at home. A little apples to oranges here, but since I like both cars I'll try to note advantages of each.

My 2020 blue Y with a hitch cost almost exactly the same as my 2024 blue e-tron with a hitch, but Tesla price slashing since 2020 makes today's Y a real bargain, especially given its eligibility for the tax credit. The Y is slightly larger, has more storage, greater range, better efficiency, all those cameras, the charging network, and true one-pedal driving. Its autopilot has flaws but is still better than Audi's. It remains a no-brainer of a buy.

Ah, but the Audi has advantages as well. It's rock solid, with far better fit and finish, a more luxurious interior, and is far quieter and rides far smoother. Better paint, no rattles. The doors thunk, and do a better job keeping dirt off the sills. I also prefer the looks, though that's a matter of taste. Other nice changes:
- Real door handles, inside and out.
- Better mirrors and rear visibility.
- Radar and parking sensors. Better blind spot monitoring and cross rear traffic warning.
- A sun roof that opens and can be covered by a power shade.
- Physical controls for climate, wipers, cruise control, rear hatch, hood release, and glove box.
- Better nighttime interior lighting, with every control well-lit. Fancy puddle lights at night when exiting.
- A digital instrument cluster that can display a lot of varied information, plus a big infotainment screen next to it.
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto that works well, not dropping like Tesla Apple music did.
- Sirius XM, though you have to subscribe after the three-month trial.
- Seemingly better speakers (Sonos) or maybe music just sounds better because the car is quieter.
- Auto wipers and auto high beams that actually work.
- Screen and software combo that I prefer to the Tesla menus. I felt Tesla wasted a lot of its big screen real estate. Another matter of taste.
- Larger fonts on the screens. Important to aging eyes!
- Tesla has a better phone app, but the Audi one is fine. It actually connects faster than the Tesla one did.
- The Audi has keyless entry, locking, and starting, but I like having a key fob again. (But now I have to remember to physically lock the car, either by touching the door handle or using the fob!)
- No Elon Musk, Elon time, and vaporous Elon promises.

The Tesla is futuristic and clever, the Audi deliberately more traditional for us geezers or those coming from ICE cars. The Audi has a different EV philosophy, coasting far further and using blended braking for its regeneration and efficiency. It does have a drive mode close to one-pedal driving but this doesn't bring the car do a complete halt - it creeps - so if choosing this I still have to use the brake at a stop sign! (If you press hard on the brake after stopping it does hold the car without needing to keep your foot there.) Because of this I don't use the inferior Audi one-pedal option, instead letting the car computer do the efficiency calculations in normal drive mode. (For extra regeneration, better to use are the Audi paddle shifters to control battery regeneration and coasting speed on hills, similar to downshifting in a gas car.) The Audi system works well, overall, with Audi seeming to underestimate range while Tesla overestimates. But the driving feel is VERY different. (My wife prefers the Audi.)

I'd prefer the nimbler Tesla on a curvy road and the quiet, smooth, heavier Audi for highway driving. Only time will tell on issues such as reliability, long-term efficiency, and depreciation. (Tesla price cuts, incidentally, really lowered the trade-in value of my Y.)

Both are good cars, and the great news is that there is much more EV choice and refinement than in 2020. We were impressed looking at other brands as well. Tesla has pioneered a path leading to lot of good innovations and choice across many makes and models.

View attachment 1025011
"Audi Logo Focus" by Michael Moran-Diaz is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
Your experience largely mirrors my own, although we currently have one of each in the garage. Last year around this time I sold my beloved modified C7 S6 and purchased my '22 MSP. In early 2020 we bought my wife's e-Tron SUV at a time when Audi seemingly couldn't give them away. Her e-Tron stickered at about $96k. I went in and offered $35k off with 0% financing and they accepted that offer. The Audi also qualified for the $7500 tax credit at the time. Probably the best deal I'll ever get on a car. Agree completely that the e-Tron is simply the better built car. Every time I drive the wife's truck I'm reminded of the simplicity, intuitiveness, and functionality of physical buttons, stalks, and a fricking horn where it should be. Tesla is finally coming around on some of this stuff, but form remains the priority over function as far as I can see. Within my first month of ownership of the MSP I pre-paid for the round steering wheel and installed N2ITIVE suspension components to address issues that should have been ironed out by Tesla long ago. During the winter we take our cars to a local touchless car wash and I cringe every time I watch the Tesla's hood seemingly want to fly away when the dryer passes over it. The Audi is rock solid, quieter as you mention, and feels more planted. Luxury wise it's not even close. Ambient lighting, fragrance canisters that work unintrusively, puddle lights that display the Audi logo - not a must have but a nice touch. Better overall road lighting - personal opinion. 360 overhead view camera - why Tesla doesn't have this is a mystery to me. A forward facing parking camera, which frankly I need more on the Tesla and its low ride heigh than I do on the e-Tron.

The tech is a mixed bag but I think Tesla wins out there overall. Agree with you that the large screen is largely wasted in the Tesla and I really wish they'd allow users to be able to minimize/hide the map when not in use and replace it with other options. The Audi's interior is far more luxurious for all the reasons you mention. The wife's truck has massaging front seats. The MSP doesn't. We are considering upgrading our high schooler's 21 Tiguan with the new generation and that car has the option for massaging seats. How does my $100+ k MSP not have that option? $100+K of course before Tesla cut the price by about $30k within months of me buying the thing, but that's another story. Apple play is a huge benefit in the Audi and mostly rock solid. If Tesla only implemented that functionality I'd be a happy camper. The wife has had some issues with initial connectivity, but otherwise once connected it flat out works. I've almost given up on Apple Music in the MSP. Eventually and inevitably I start getting playback errors and randomly it signs me out all together. The Tesla app is far superior to MyAudi, which frankly is embarassing and needs a complete revamp. I prefer the one-pedal driving of the Tesla over the Audi, which will even roll back on inclines if you're not paying attention. Album art and certain other display items are bigger and better in the Audi, despite the fact that my MSP's screen dwarfs the screen in the e-Tron. The Audi also has the HUD which is really nice, but the negative to that is ours has developed some sort of pixelation issue that I'm sure won't be cheap to fix since it's out of warranty. As for repairs, as much as I've complained about Audi's service departments in my years with the brand, Tesla service is in an entirely higher universe of dumb.

Performance and range go to Tesla without a doubt, but I'm comparing a MSP to an e-Tron Prestige. Quattro rules supreme over every other AWD system I've tried and that includes my MSP. I'm coming from 20+ years of exclusive Audi cars until my MSP and I've had Quattro cut power down to 1 wheel to get me through ice conditions while watching other AWD systems spin in place on the same roads. My wife is tired of hearing me say this, but if you could take the battery/performance of my MSP and slap that on an Audi RS6 or RS7, you'd have the perfect car. Rumor is the next RS6 will be an EV. If that's the case, and if the range and performance are remotely close to the MSP, I'm gone, unless Tesla gets its head out of its ass and spends as much time focusing on driver controls and build quality as it does on range and raw speed. We are waiting to see what the Q6 e-Tron looks like and to see the Macan EV in person as potential replacements for the wife's truck, but we're in no rush. At about 5 years old and with 60k on the odometer, it remains a beautiful and solid machine.

(Tesla price cuts, incidentally, really lowered the trade-in value of my Y.)

Hopefully this should not have been a surprise when purchasing your Y. If you watch any of the Investor day speeches or Battery day speeches, lowering the price of Tesla's has been a top priority since before the Model S launched. It's been a stated goal to bring EV's into mass adoption and affordability. I have to explain this to alot of Non-Tesla owners which mock EV's and tell everyone they're not selling, that's why they have to lower prices.

We're a retired couple who decided to consolidate from two cars to one EV. Since my wife didn't like the lack of physical controls and minimalism of my 2020 Model Y, we're trying a 2024 Audi Q4 e-tron - the all-wheel drive version - instead. We don't road trip much and do 99 percent of our charging at home. A little apples to oranges here, but since I like both cars I'll try to note advantages of each.

My 2020 blue Y with a hitch cost almost exactly the same as my 2024 blue e-tron with a hitch, but Tesla price slashing since 2020 makes today's Y a real bargain, especially given its eligibility for the tax credit. The Y is slightly larger, has more storage, greater range, better efficiency, all those cameras, the charging network, and true one-pedal driving. Its autopilot has flaws but is still better than Audi's. It remains a no-brainer of a buy.

Ah, but the Audi has advantages as well. It's rock solid, with far better fit and finish, a more luxurious interior, and is far quieter and rides far smoother. Better paint, no rattles. The doors thunk, and do a better job keeping dirt off the sills. I also prefer the looks, though that's a matter of taste. Other nice changes:
- Real door handles, inside and out.
- Better mirrors and rear visibility.
- Radar and parking sensors. Better blind spot monitoring and cross rear traffic warning.
- A sun roof that opens and can be covered by a power shade.
- Physical controls for climate, wipers, cruise control, rear hatch, hood release, and glove box.
- Better nighttime interior lighting, with every control well-lit. Fancy puddle lights at night when exiting.
- A digital instrument cluster that can display a lot of varied information, plus a big infotainment screen next to it.
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto that works well, not dropping like Tesla Apple music did.
- Sirius XM, though you have to subscribe after the three-month trial.
- Seemingly better speakers (Sonos) or maybe music just sounds better because the car is quieter.
- Auto wipers and auto high beams that actually work.
- Screen and software combo that I prefer to the Tesla menus. I felt Tesla wasted a lot of its big screen real estate. Another matter of taste.
- Larger fonts on the screens. Important to aging eyes!
- Tesla has a better phone app, but the Audi one is fine. It actually connects faster than the Tesla one did.
- The Audi has keyless entry, locking, and starting, but I like having a key fob again. (But now I have to remember to physically lock the car, either by touching the door handle or using the fob!)
- No Elon Musk, Elon time, and vaporous Elon promises.

The Tesla is futuristic and clever, the Audi deliberately more traditional for us geezers or those coming from ICE cars. The Audi has a different EV philosophy, coasting far further and using blended braking for its regeneration and efficiency. It does have a drive mode close to one-pedal driving but this doesn't bring the car do a complete halt - it creeps - so if choosing this I still have to use the brake at a stop sign! (If you press hard on the brake after stopping it does hold the car without needing to keep your foot there.) Because of this I don't use the inferior Audi one-pedal option, instead letting the car computer do the efficiency calculations in normal drive mode. (For extra regeneration, better to use are the Audi paddle shifters to control battery regeneration and coasting speed on hills, similar to downshifting in a gas car.) The Audi system works well, overall, with Audi seeming to underestimate range while Tesla overestimates. But the driving feel is VERY different. (My wife prefers the Audi.)

I'd prefer the nimbler Tesla on a curvy road and the quiet, smooth, heavier Audi for highway driving. Only time will tell on issues such as reliability, long-term efficiency, and depreciation. (Tesla price cuts, incidentally, really lowered the trade-in value of my Y.)

Both are good cars, and the great news is that there is much more EV choice and refinement than in 2020. We were impressed looking at other brands as well. Tesla has pioneered a path leading to lot of good innovations and choice across many makes and models.

View attachment 1025011
"Audi Logo Focus" by Michael Moran-Diaz is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
why kick on the way out?

btw, its not only about the vehicle, its about the ecosystem
seems you are only focused on the vehicle

good luck with Audi

Which Four Seasons are you referring to? ;)
why kick on the way out?

btw, its not only about the vehicle, its about the ecosystem
seems you are only focused on the vehicle

good luck with Audi
Oh man, if we're talking ecosystem there is no comparison. Audi hands down all day every day. I bet I can any local Audi dealership and get a service tech on the phone within minutes. I can't even talk to people at Tesla. It's all through the app. Tesla has limited repair centers, limited collision shops. When I got my tires swapped on my Tesla a few months ago one of the shops I called wouldn't even do that for me because it's a Tesla. Now, it's true Audi won't be putting games on there nobody plays or let you have a goat sound when you park and, although those are extremely valuable, they are not as important as minimizing pain when you run into issues.

• Love
Reactions: sleepydoc and ngng

Oh man, if we're talking ecosystem there is no comparison. Audi hands down all day every day. I bet I can any local Audi dealership and get a service tech on the phone within minutes. I can't even talk to people at Tesla. It's all through the app. Tesla has limited repair centers, limited collision shops. When I got my tires swapped on my Tesla a few months ago one of the shops I called wouldn't even do that for me because it's a Tesla. Now, it's true Audi won't be putting games on there nobody plays or let you have a goat sound when you park and, although those are extremely valuable, they are not as important as minimizing pain when you run into issues.
totally agree - the service I got from my local Audi dealer ship was superb. It's been well documented that Tesla's 'dealer' model, while it has its advantages, still leaves something to be desired. OTOH, I took my daughter's Toyota in to the local Toyota dealership to have some work done and I kinda felt like I was going to a poorly run Denny's compared to the Audi dealer!

Getting someone on the phone at a dealership? Easy.

Getting someone that knows about EVs to work on your car at that dealership???

I go to Belle Tire for tires for my Model S. Never an issue. They work on many Teslas.

Hopefully this should not have been a surprise when purchasing your Y. If you watch any of the Investor day speeches or Battery day speeches, lowering the price of Tesla's has been a top priority since before the Model S launched. It's been a stated goal to bring EV's into mass adoption and affordability. I have to explain this to alot of Non-Tesla owners which mock EV's and tell everyone they're not selling, that's why they have to lower prices.
Elon also said our cars would increase in value. Not that anyone believed him, but still.

• Funny
Reactions: EatsShoots