Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wet in compartment under trunk under false floor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a long drive yesterday, drove through some moderate rain. Wanted to use the UMC to charge, which is kept in the compartment, to find it and the velcro bag totally soaked. The trunk itself is not wet at all. What could cause this? Underside of car looks normal.

Attachments

• IMG_3375.jpg
    IMG_3375.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 352
One possibility is that one of the windshield wiper water lines has become unattached and is squirting washer fluid into the frunk compartment. Just open the frunk and follow the water lines out of the wipers to see if they are all connected properly.

One possibility is that one of the windshield wiper water lines has become unattached and is squirting washer fluid into the frunk compartment. Just open the frunk and follow the water lines out of the wipers to see if they are all connected properly.
Thanks, but the water is in the compartment under the false floor of the trunk/boot (back of car)

Had a long drive yesterday, drove through some moderate rain. Wanted to use the UMC to charge, which is kept in the compartment, to find it and the velcro bag totally soaked. The trunk itself is not wet at all. What could cause this? Underside of car looks normal.

It seems like you have the same issue as this guy (skip to 2:48):

Diagnosis: Shoddy welding of the area, service used caulk. :confused:
Best of luck

It seems like you have the same issue as this guy (skip to 2:48):

Diagnosis: Shoddy welding of the area, service used caulk. :confused:
Best of luck
Yes 100%, that's exactly it, rest of trunk is dry, except the compartment. Have a service schedule to fix it, although that fix in the video looks pretty home made. The most annoying thing is that the UMC velcro bag was in there, which got totally soaked.

Yes 100%, that's exactly it, rest of trunk is dry, except the compartment. Have a service schedule to fix it, although that fix in the video looks pretty home made. The most annoying thing is that the UMC velcro bag was in there, which got totally soaked.

You should tell them about the UMC being soaked as well. Might affect metal or electronic parts on the unit and/or adapters. The HWPC charging unit is designed to be waterproof and used outside but not sure about the mobile one.

After getting my car I ordered a waterproof cargo mat after reading that heavy rain water and even piled up snow can fall into your trunk area if the trunk lid is raised during those conditions. Didn’t want to deal with wet carpeting back there if I needed to open the trunk in heavy rain (of course easiest to simply not open it then or to brush off your car roof/trunk area beforehand). But water certainly would go for the lowest point being the recessed trunk area and has no where to go as it’s a metal soft fabric lined tub essentially. The mat BTW is great and makes dirt removal much easier on it than a carpeted area.

Last edited:
You should tell them about the UMC being soaked as well. Might affect metal or electronic parts on the unit and/or adapters. The HWPC charging unit is designed to be waterproof and used outside but not sure about the mobile one.

After getting my car I ordered a waterproof cargo mat after reading that heavy rain water and even piled up snow can fall into your trunk area if the trunk lid is raised during those conditions. Didn’t want to deal with wet carpeting back there if I needed to open the trunk in heavy rain (of course easiest to simply not open it then or to brush off your car roof/trunk area beforehand). But water certainly would go for the lowest point being the recessed trunk area and has no where to go as it’s a metal soft fabric lined tub essentially. The mat BTW is great and makes dirt removal much easier on it than a carpeted area.
Thanks that's a good point about the UMC
I think the water actually came up into the recessed trunk area from below, rather than from above, as the trunk itself is completely dry

I just discovered my under trunk area completely soaked as well. It is also where I kept my spare UMC. The regular area of my trunk was completely dry. Mine is a 2018 and is now out of warranty. Any idea what this will cost me to repair?

I just discovered my under trunk area completely soaked as well. It is also where I kept my spare UMC. The regular area of my trunk was completely dry. Mine is a 2018 and is now out of warranty. Any idea what this will cost me to repair?
Depends on what is actually leaking. Can't speak to specifics about the Model 3, but I've seen plenty of cases of water in the truck for to leaks around the tail light seals.