Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What about a lower pack voltage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
Almost all EVs use a pack voltage in the 350-400 volt range. I've heard it said that to get 300 kW or higher charging (from the current Supercharger 120 kW) you'd need to go to 800V or so because the charge cable is thick enough already, so doubling the power would require a really massive charge cable if the voltage stayed the same.

However, I just came across this older article about Zero motorcycles. Geeking out on electric motorcycles – a trip to the Zero factory

In the article, the engineer states that their 100v pack voltage results in a more efficient motor, more range, lower cost and lower heat. Indeed he goes on to say that he expects EVs to use a lower pack voltage in the future.

This is the first time I've heard of this idea. Is the engineer right about the advantages of lower pack voltage?

I seriously doubt a lower voltage would be feasible for cars, but maybe it works for motorcycles. Lower the voltage by half and you have to increase the amperage by a factor of two. That increases your losses in the wiring by a factor of four. Or, if you increase the wire size it adds weight to the car. And that's just to keep the same power rating.