Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are all the adapters one should keep in their car during a road trip for emergencies?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mobile connector is actually a 2nd generation mobile connector, and is limited to 32A output. The corded mobile connector is based on the 1st generation mobile connector and has a maximum output of 40A. Depending on your car and version this may not make any difference due to the car charging limitations.

The problem is, chademo is being phased out and CCS is the most common and faster charging new equipment being built. Most of the Electrify America equipment is CCS. There is only one chademo cord at each of their sites. Pretty easy for that one charge cord to be busy in the near future. Also, the one chademo machine at each of their sites is only 50kW.

Oh thanks for that info I did not know it was on the way out. Maybe I should sell my adaptor now and put the money towards the newer standard. I don't know why but I see them selling all the time on ebay for well over the Tesla price. I have seen Tesla chademo adaptors selling on ebay for well over $500 even as high as $675 again I don't know why but for some reason I suspect they are overseas buyers.

Oh thanks for that info I did not know it was on the way out. Maybe I should sell my adaptor now and put the money towards the newer standard. I don't know why but I see them selling all the time on ebay for well over the Tesla price. I have seen Tesla chademo adaptors selling on ebay for well over $500 even as high as $675 again I don't know why but for some reason I suspect they are overseas buyers.
Personally, I would keep chademo if you plan on traveling off the beaten path. However, temper that knowing that I am a Nissan Leaf owner also and because I also tow with my Tesla so I have the tendency to try to prepare for every possible outcome. Every day that more and more fast stations are installed in rural areas will hopefully and eventually eliminate the need for many adapters.

Towing an appreciable weight reduces your range by 2/3rds. So, if you plan on towing outside of California, Tesla superchargers are too far apart and you have to use other charge companies when towing long distances.

Last edited: