Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What have you Smoked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
She zoomed back up into the drafting position and I pulled over to let her pass. As she zipped by she gave me the Hawaiin good luck sign so...
Firstly, You're ruining my impression of southern hospitality!
Secondly, I'm Hawaiian, so now you're attacking my people and I'm forced to tag your post as objectionable!
(ok, kidding about the latter) :tongue:

Firstly, You're ruining my impression of southern hospitality!
Secondly, I'm Hawaiian, so now you're attacking my people and I'm forced to tag your post as objectionable!
(ok, kidding about the latter) :tongue:

The Hawaiian Good Luck sign is actually not objectionable. It originated from the Pueblo incident in 1968. The North Koreans spent almost a year parading the captured sailors around for propaganda photos.

The sailors started using the finger in the pics to resist. It took a long time (and many pics with numerous fingers) for the North Koreans to question the gesture. When they did the sailors told them it was the Hawaiian good luck sign. It took many more months for the NK's to realize that they'd been duped. They beat and tortured the sailors but the damage had been done. It's a classic/iconic story of resistance in captivity.

The Hawaiian Good Luck sign is actually not objectionable. It originated from the Pueblo incident in 1968. The North Koreans spent almost a year parading the captured sailors around for propaganda photos.

The sailors started using the finger in the pics to resist. It took a long time (and many pics with numerous fingers) for the North Koreans to question the gesture. When they did the sailors told them it was the Hawaiian good luck sign. It took many more months for the NK's to realize that they'd been duped. They beat and tortured the sailors but the damage had been done. It's a classic/iconic story of resistance in captivity.
That's why I love TMC... I learn so much culture! :biggrin:
Thank YOU!

I never smoke anyone. If Tesla had an "old man" mode on the control panel I'd probably use it.

Last week on a two lane, hilly, county road a lady in an SUV was doing the Talladega Bump drafting maneuver (while talking on the cellphone) behind me. She apparently had enough of 35mph which for ME is plenty on these roads but admittedly slower than the vast majority on these roads. So she moved out to pass on an uphill and didn't see the approaching car that I saw. Imminent collision so I let Shane have his head and disappeared at about 70 till we passed the oncoming car. She saw the car and had room to get back over.

I slowed back down to 35 and apparently she wasn't impressed with Shane's acceleration or the fact that I may have saved her life. She zoomed back up into the drafting position and I pulled over to let her pass. As she zipped by she gave me the Hawaiin good luck sign so...

I think I'd be mad too if you we're going slow and then floored it as soon as someone tries to pass you!

No race involved but I found myself next to an Elise on PCH in Newport Beach California yesterday. After driving near each other for a couple of miles, we were stopped at a stop light. He asked me if my car was lowered and the other modifications I had done to my Lotus. He didn't seem to know much about the Tesla and I found that surprising. I figured they would all be very familiar with the car. Oh well, just doing some more educating about Tesla! :biggrin:

I was driving N on the 2 freeway on Saturday. I came up on a Model S. I got along side to see if he wanted to show me his great acceleration - but he didn't seem too interested. Don't know why. :rolleyes:
I will say, with no disrespect to either party, that, as both a Roadster & MS owner, that the MS owners have less enthusiasm for other Tesla owners than Roadster owners have for other Tesla owners seen in the wild. Just observational and my experiences cannot possibly cover ALL owners! :cursing:

I will say, with no disrespect to either party, that, as both a Roadster & MS owner, that the MS owners have less enthusiasm for other Tesla owners than Roadster owners have for other Tesla owners seen in the wild. Just observational and my experiences cannot possibly cover ALL owners! :cursing:

We are experiencing the same thing in Atlanta. The MS owners I've met (15 out of the 70-80 in Atlanta) are fantastic and really into Tesla. However, on too many occasions I've pulled up next to a MS and I get a look from them like I'm from another world. I don't understand the lack of enthusiasm; they are driving the hottest car on the planet. I've experienced the same with some Volt and Leaf owners. I met a Fisker owner and he barely knew anything about the car other than its looks. I got the feeling he never used the all-electric driving mode.

However, on too many occasions I've pulled up next to a MS and I get a look from them like I'm from another world. I don't understand the lack of enthusiasm; they are driving the hottest car on the planet.
Did you get the impression these people were the buyer of the vehicle, or the driver? Sometimes people buy vehicles for their spouses or children, and the driver in that case doesn't know of it as anything other than an A to B device.

Did you get the impression these people were the buyer of the vehicle, or the driver? Sometimes people buy vehicles for their spouses or children, and the driver in that case doesn't know of it as anything other than an A to B device.

Indeed. At my delivery there were 2 other cars being dropped off (delivery was a group thing at an area Home Depot parking lot). After about 10 min a gentlemen tapped on my driver's side window and asked how to "start" the car! I presumed he was simple picking up the vehicle for a client/boss/etc.

When I took "A Tesla the Hun!" on day 1 to see the guys at Tesla, one of them was recounting a story of a pick up who asked where they were supposed to fill the car with gas? True story! :scared:

4/20 in humboldt

Samoa drag strip
'69 camaro
66? Chevelle a couple of times:) close they run a 12.3
3 or so wrx sti's
Ford Lightning (later met the guy at O'rielys auto - he was blown away by what the car could do!).
Lost to 1 vette that was a c5 and suped up a bit
The drag strip was so slippery that I was spinning past 60mph and only could do 4.8 to 60
And 13.1 best quarter. There was no light or clock. Straight street drags with a flag.
Subarus took me off the line but I took them when I got traction

Last edited:
Samoa drag strip
'69 camaro
66? Chevelle a couple of times:) close they run a 12.3
3 or so wrx sti's
Ford pickup w/sidepipes
Lost to 1 vette that was a c5 and suped up a bit
The drag strip was so slippery that I was spinning past 60mph and only could do 4.8 to 60
And 13.1 best quarter. There was no light or clock. Straight street drags with a flag.
Subarus took me off the line but I took them when I got traction

How did the WRX's hold up? Or is that you reference on the Subies? I've heard their AWD and BHP is pretty amazing.

How did the WRX's hold up? Or is that you reference on the Subies? I've heard their AWD and BHP is pretty amazing.

I killed thee wrx sti subies. They blew me off the line since it was so slippery. I had no idea if I'd catch up w/2 or3 car lengths lost off the line. I caught up and passed them near 80 mph. If I had 265-275 tires I would have been golden:)
Was fun

Last edited:
Smoked a blacked out '84 Camaro with a whale tail.

Had to get over one lane to get off the state highway and onto the on ramp for the interstate. Did my usual old man thing. Signaled, checked mirrors etc.. Sped up a little to not be in anyone's way that was in the right lane. The Camaro sped up to an abeam position. So, I slowed down to get behind him. He slowed down to remain abeam and I was gonna miss the exit. So I sped up a little. He sped up. At this point it was clear that he was trying to make me miss the exit.
As soon as I realized this I let Shane have his head and do what he was born to do. The ricer disappeared in the rear view and I got on the interstate.
I simply didn't want to miss the exit. However, in the interest of being totally honest it felt very good.:wink:

The best part was that when we settled back in the right lane at 65 about 2 minutes later, the kid in the Camaro came screaming by me and revved his engine. I just stared straight ahead and had a good belly laugh.