Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what is a good home charging habit for cold below freezing lvl temperature garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I live in the North where most of time temperature is below 0 Celsius (below freezing level) during the winter. When I get home each day, I plan to use mobile connector to charge overnight. So far I set my charging limit to 90%. My battery is SR battery so I expect to done charging around 3 am in the morning.

I usually wake up 7 am in the morning and temperature is really cold in my garage. My plan is to pre heat the inside of my car for 30 min. using my Tesla App on the phone when I wake up.

but my questions are:
1. Is 90% charge limit good limit to ensure long battery life?
2. When I start pre heat inside of my car, is it good idea to still leave the mobile charger charging the car while the battery is cold?

thank you so much!

Ideally, consensus seems to be to charge to as low a percent as you are comfortable with, given your consumption, and in any case not to leave the battery at a high state of charge for long. And yes, leave the car connected during preheat, as it will use ‘shore power’ to the extent it can. If you’re using a 120 v circuit, the cabin and battery preheat consumption will exceed the draw from the wall tho, at least initially.

Ideally, consensus seems to be to charge to as low a percent as you are comfortable with, given your consumption, and in any case not to leave the battery at a high state of charge for long. And yes, leave the car connected during preheat, as it will use ‘shore power’ to the extent it can. If you’re using a 120 v circuit, the cabin and battery preheat consumption will exceed the draw from the wall tho, at least initially.
Battery discharges to preheat the car, “shore power” tops the battery off.

Yes and yes. A charge limit is a compromise between longevity and convenience. Certainly 80% is better than 90% for longevity, but the marginal value is likely less than the inconvenience of having to stop more often to charge up. Many of us, charge to a higher SOC limit in Winter, to compensate for lower usable range; and a lower SOC limit in Spring/Summer/Fall, when the range is better.

I take delivery Friday and have been reading up a lot on this.

How much will you be driving? If you leave home with 90% SOC, what do you anticipate arriving back home with most nights?

In cold weather, it seems like the best times to charge would be when you first get home (battery is as already warm) and just before you leave (kills two birds by having a warm bettery from charging).

My thinking is that it would be better to charge fewer whole nights, if possible, rather than every day for part of the night...of course, this may not be feasible depending on your charge rate and range need.