Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At what point below charge limit does car start automatically charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says. Wondering because I have my limit set to 90% and I left for a few days but left it plugged in. Battery was at 88% when I returned and went to drive. I’m wondering is there a certain percentage it has to get below the set limit before it automatically resumes and tops up? I would think it would trickle charge to keep it at 90%.

As the title says. Wondering because I have my limit set to 90% and I left for a few days but left it plugged in. Battery was at 88% when I returned and went to drive. I’m wondering is there a certain percentage it has to get below the set limit before it automatically resumes and tops up? I would think it would trickle charge to keep it at 90%.
i dunno but if you set a time to start charging i believe it wakes up at that time and charges back to the limit

perhaps it acts similar without a time to start setting enabled

If you don’t have charging scheduled, it won’t charge, unless you charge manually
When scheduled, it will charge at a point at approx any amount below that point
In my case below 80%
1692301907110.png

There is no automatic charging
With such a high draw of current, think Tesla felt you would want to schedule

OP it doesnt trickle charge (to allow the car a chance to go to sleep).

I believe the answer to your question is roughly 3ish percent lower than the set point. It doesnt do it automatically when it drops below the set point, to prevent constant opening and closing of the contactors and keeping the car awake.

I seem to remember it was about 3% though. It depends on how long it takes your car to lose that 3%. if its asleep that could be a few days, as you saw.

OP it doesnt trickle charge (to allow the car a chance to go to sleep).

I believe the answer to your question is roughly 3ish percent lower than the set point. It doesnt do it automatically when it drops below the set point, to prevent constant opening and closing of the contactors and keeping the car awake.

I seem to remember it was about 3% though. It depends on how long it takes your car to lose that 3%. if its asleep that could be a few days, as you saw.
I went on a 14 day vacation a few weeks ago, and the car lost 2% during those 14 days. It was not plugged in, and I checked on it one per day. Sentry disabled.

Jjrandorin, I am not sure I follow: you are saying 3% drop to start topping off, but then you say it won't do it automatically. Can you pls clarify?

This brings up another question: I left the car unplugged at 50%, but I now read suggestions to keep it plugged in. Why?
Also: is there a way to keep the car plugged in with a low SOC, say 30% for example, as suggested for storage by some experts? I think it would start charging automatically to the minimum setting of 50%, right?

I went on a 14 day vacation a few weeks ago, and the car lost 2% during those 14 days. It was not plugged in, and I checked on it one per day. Sentry disabled.

Jjrandorin, I am not sure I follow: you are saying 3% drop to start topping off, but then you say it won't do it automatically. Can you pls clarify?

This brings up another question: I left the car unplugged at 50%, but I now read suggestions to keep it plugged in. Why?
Also: is there a way to keep the car plugged in with a low SOC, say 30% for example, as suggested for storage by some experts? I think it would start charging automatically to the minimum setting of 50%, right?

I said " it wont do it automatically when it drops below the set point". I didnt say "it wont do it automatically".

What I mean is, if you have the car set to 70%, it will not automatically start charging when it drops to 69%. If the car was parked for several days, that might cause it to charge a lot more frequently (69%, 70%, 69%, 70% etc). It doesnt sleep when it charges so that would keep the car awake more, unecessarily.

As I mentioned, I believe it starts charging after it gets about 3% below the setpoint. As for the "why keep it plugged in?" Other than to say "Tesla recommends this, but its up to you" I am not addressing that. There is tons (and tons and tons) of discussion here on that discussion point though, so you should find plenty of discussion (but nothing other than discussion) if you search for it.

No, there is no way to keep the car plugged in at a set point below the bottom, if you want to store it like that for some reason, you will need to leave it not plugged in.

Reactions: flixden
I said " it wont do it automatically when it drops below the set point". I didnt say "it wont do it automatically".

What I mean is, if you have the car set to 70%, it will not automatically start charging when it drops to 69%. If the car was parked for several days, that might cause it to charge a lot more frequently (69%, 70%, 69%, 70% etc). It doesnt sleep when it charges so that would keep the car awake more, unecessarily.

As I mentioned, I believe it starts charging after it gets about 3% below the setpoint. As for the "why keep it plugged in?" Other than to say "Tesla recommends this, but its up to you" I am not addressing that. There is tons (and tons and tons) of discussion here on that discussion point though, so you should find plenty of discussion (but nothing other than discussion) if you search for it.

No, there is no way to keep the car plugged in at a set point below the bottom, if you want to store it like that for some reason, you will need to leave it not plugged in.
The Tesla Wall Connector does not automatically re-start after dropping 3% below your setpoint. This week, I set it to max at 65%, which I confirmed with the app it reached at the time the charging stopped. Approximately 8 hours later, my SOC was down to 61% and my car was still plugged in. The charger did not restart. I was a bit annoyed, but my battery seemed quite out-of-balance, which I recently resolved. So bottom line, even at a 4% drop, it's not restarting without you manually doing so.

The Tesla Wall Connector does not automatically re-start after dropping 3% below your setpoint. This week, I set it to max at 65%, which I confirmed with the app it reached at the time the charging stopped. Approximately 8 hours later, my SOC was down to 61% and my car was still plugged in. The charger did not restart. I was a bit annoyed, but my battery seemed quite out-of-balance, which I recently resolved. So bottom line, even at a 4% drop, it's not restarting without you manually doing so.
How did you resolve the out-of-balance? One charge to 100%? Did you let it sit at the 100% SOC?

How did you resolve the out-of-balance? One charge to 100%? Did you let it sit at the 100% SOC?
No, when it reached 100% SOC at the Supercharger, I started driving. I gradually made my subsequent charges less in terms of DOC. So I let it go down to around 38% or so I believe from 100%. Charged back low 80s, let it go down to 40's. Charged back to 70ish, same thing. Now I set the charge to stop at 55% and when I get in the car in the morning, it's at 55%. I used to get +/- up to 4% SOC after charging and letting the car sit for a couple hours, usually 2% or 3% difference from what I set the charge to.

Yes, it will.

How do you have charging configured? Do you have it set to start at a scheduled time? If so, the car will start charging at the next scheduled start once it drops below 3% or so.
Yes I should have noted that. If it's set to scheduled start charging at a certain time, it may restart then at that time, the next day. But if you are before that time, and it drops, it will not bring the level back up to your set charge level. That's my experience.
IF you don't have set scheduled start time activated, then the charger should start again when the SOC drops. It did happen to me this week when I was detailing it and plugged in and restarted for 5 minutes automatically.

Reactions: ucmndd
not sure about 3 but here's how it works on my 2016 X when i'm away:
1694406269764.png

Left on 8th. Small bars are 3kW(5%).
Left plugged in with schedule set for 3am every day
Seems first few days it drains fast then a bit inconsistent n finally settling on every 5th day
This happened on 2 separate occasions.