Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the best electric bike to partner with the Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone - I've been looking to buy a folding electric bike for ages for my commute into town, and using as an alternative to the train. I want something that I can easily transport easily in my Tesla (Model X) - the dream is to be able to take it on family holidays, and use to complete some journeys into town - park on the outskirts then carry on being green by cycling into town.

I just saw these pictures from an electric bike brand called Gocycle on social media - it looks they fit really well in both the Model X and S - and look really cool too! Has anyone heard of this brand?

Gocycle on Instagram: “When two icons meet. Thanks to @teslamotors Chiswick for letting us come down and get some shots of our #GocycleGS and new #GocycleGX.…”

My main question really is do any owners here use an electric bike in tandem with their Tesla and if so do you have any recommendations? I have heard of Tern, Brompton, Gocycle etc - but not an expert in this area! Help appreciated.

I have an electric scooter in the frunk of my X. I take it every where. When the car is charging, I use the scooter to explore the neighborhood. Great fun.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1527744584705.jpg
    FB_IMG_1527744584705.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 345
Reactions: JimVandegriff
Great minds think alike.

I went on a search for an electric bike to complement my Tesla model X and settled on a GoCycle model GS. GoCycle did seem to be the Tesla equivalent in the bike world and presents themselves as the ideal commuter bike company. I only got a couple hundred miles in before cold weather began to dominate, but I couldn’t be happier with the purchase. I have taken it on short vacation trips to the mountains to use on easy paths around lakes and in mountain towns. I did purchase a “Portable Docking Station” from GoCycle which is the “oversize luggage” that holds the folded bike and fits nicely in the back of the X. I also used it to do errands when I had a flat tire repaired, etc. I think you are on the right path. Great choice.

Looking at the GoCycle web site today, there is a newer model, GX, which folds much faster (and looks like it has a swappable battery) which might be a better choice now.

I bought a cheap $100 non electric folding bike for use with our X. I use it twice a week when I have to travel across different work sites, and one site has very little parking.

Means I can park the X anywhere and than hop on the bike, gives me some good exercise too, covered 10 miles yesterday in it:).

One tip, go for 16inch wheel one and it'll fit the X without folding the thing. Actually even fits with third row seats up. Makes transition from car to bike really easy, literally just park up, exit, grab and saddle up.

44632672945_dc5fa43a40_k_d.jpg

I bought a cheap $100 non electric folding bike for use with our X. I use it twice a week when I have to travel across different work sites, and one site has very little parking.

Means I can park the X anywhere and than hop on the bike, gives me some good exercise too, covered 10 miles yesterday in it:).

One tip, go for 16inch wheel one and it'll fit the X without folding the thing. Actually even fits with third row seats up. Makes transition from car to bike really easy, literally just park up, exit, grab and saddle up.

44632672945_dc5fa43a40_k_d.jpg
That’s so convenient. Can you link to the bike pictured?

Reactions: ConElectricTS
If you don't want to pedal and don't need to travel very far, you can get a electric scooter with a seat pretty cheap:
https://www.costco.com/Jetson-Bolt-Folding-Electric-Scooter.product.100425566.html

Have seen these, but what's the law on them for road use? The pedal bike you can do what you want, pavement (I know your not suppose to), road etc.

Here in the UK these electric scooter are illegal for pavement or road use, so you could get stopped, and if you hit a pedestrian that would cause some issues.

My colleague has a regular Citizen bike that he has stowed under his desk if he cycles in.

I note that Citizen Bike now offers an electric assist kit (they call it a PUNCH kit) for $399 which will be come pre-assembled on an ordered bike. So, you could get a folding bike with some electric assist for less than $700.

PUNCH kit has a 24 V 5.8 AH battery and a 200W front motor, with assist up to 12.5mph.
PUNCH® Electric Assist Kit for Citizen Bikes

Last edited:
An electric unicycle for sure, the best thing that I've ever ride, it is like floating on a magic carpet over the ground. Research it, it is much better than any e-bike.

These things are insane: take very minimum space, can go as far as 50 miles and 30mph speed.

Last edited: