Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the maximum # of miles should a car have when delivered 2b considered NEW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realized that cars are moved around and sometimes test driven. What is the maximum # of miles should the typical new car show when being delivered? What # of miles is considered too high and should be discounted because of that. I know some performance cars manufacturers are tested for x # of miles b4 putting up 4sale.

Yes, they are new but demoed. And we all know what customers do when they drive a demo. If it had a certain# of miles, it should be discounted. New means new, NOT never titled. New means the plastic is still on the seats, tapes on the fenders and hood. New means should be the first one to fart in it .

Yes, they are new but demoed. And we all know what customers do when they drive a demo. If it had a certain# of miles, it should be discounted. New means new, NOT never titled. New means the plastic is still on the seats, tapes on the fenders and hood. New means should be the first one to fart in it .
I chatted with Tesla about this and they consider a car that hasn't been titled "New" and sell it as such - w/o any discounting.. At least so far they haven't...

Very true, however,a new car should technically never need to go to the service center except for routine service. But, since we are so enamored with Elon's products, we bend in his favor.

I think Elon is awesome in that he has the b*lls to do what he's doing. He's 2b put on a pedestal or a statue should be made with him sitting on 2 bowling balls!!!

I chatted with Tesla about this and they consider a car that hasn't been titled "New" and sell it as such - w/o any discounting.. At least so far they haven't...

It's up to the buyer to accept this. Not Tesla. If the public demands to see the car B4 they buy, then, that's the way it is. Guess it all boils down to how bad the buyer wants the car and how bad the seller needs to sell the car.
Buyers or Sellers market.

I know what you mean, but thats funny :) You will definitely never be the "first person" to drive a "new" car, no matter how many miles it has on it. It could have 2 miles on it, and someone could have definitely farted in it ;)

To answer your question, since you are not talking about "new" by legal sales definition, but "new" as in "how many miles does a new tesla normally actually have on its odometer", I would say that is somewhere between 3 and 20, depending on where its being picked up / delivered. My car had 11 miles. Many report 3-5 miles.

Note, the tesla paperwork will say 50 miles no matter how many miles it has under 50. if you are buying now, dont freak out when you see 50 miles on the paperwork. Just remember that even if it has 5 miles, someone else drove it, and maybe farted in it :p

Note, the tesla paperwork will say 50 miles no matter how many miles it has under 50. if you are buying now, dont freak out when you see 50 miles on the paperwork. Just remember that even if it has 5 miles, someone else drove it, and maybe farted in it :p

Oh! This explains it for me. I never read of this in my research before purchase.
I swore my car had 5 miles / when i picked up the tesla assocaite said so / swore i verified w/ odo .. on paperwork i saw 50 .. thought what ? Did I hear and see it wrong?!?
Did the math from google maps having it for 3 days (i’m sure there is better way on car to calculate) and determined could not have been 50 miles when i picked it up

I think my car was delivered with about 4 miles on it... I was shocked and happy.

Three years ago when I leased a brand new Chevy Volt it had ~215 miles on it (no discounts & sold as new) and I didn’t even think about it until a couple weeks afterwards when I realized it was likely moved from one dealership about 150 miles away to this one by being driven... (almost 75% of those miles had been gas miles compared to electric).

It’s amazing how these things (miles, panel gaps, etc) suddenly become the most scrutinized things because it’s Tesla.

(That said, I was annoyed that my car was the leading car on the transport carrier when they had an early 2000 Chevy van on it as well. They should have spent the twenty minutes to move the brand spanking new Model 3 and Model S to be behind the van before they got on the 200 mile freeway trip >.< )

• Informative
Reactions: Arpe
Tesla says anything with 50 miles or less is 'NEW'.
Actually, Tesla paperwork all has 50 miles as the default number of miles. That's not the same as Tesla saying everything with less than that is "new".

Very true, however,a new car should technically never need to go to the service center except for routine service. But, since we are so enamored with Elon's products, we bend in his favor.

I think Elon is awesome in that he has the b*lls to do what he's doing. He's 2b put on a pedestal or a statue should be made with him sitting on 2 bowling balls!!!
It has nothing to do with Tesla or Elon, the definition of "new" is decided at the state level and most, if not all, of them say that as long as the car hasn't been titled it is still considered "new". Most places will give you a discount depending on the number of miles, I was looking at a "new" Jaguar before I got my model 3 and was offered several thousand off as it had been used as a service loaner and had a couple thousand miles on it. Tesla offers less discount than others mostly because demand is so high, if you do not think the amount offered is fair then you're perfectly able to refuse - there will most likely be someone who will take it.

It’s amazing how these things (miles, panel gaps, etc) suddenly become the most scrutinized things because it’s Tesla.
No they're not.

Fit and finish is highly scrutinized, especially more on luxury cars. They're only *prominent* on Tesla because they evidently more problematic more often on Tesla. And people have always sought low mileage from their new cars.

There's no persecution happening here

I believe the legal definition is 5,000 miles, but this may vary by state. I’ve gotten extremely good deals on BMW service loaners, buying them at used prices with new car financing incentives, full factory warranty, and included maintenance.

No idea on Tesla’s internal definition.

Reactions: RScottyL