Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to buy while waiting for a model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current gas vehicle may not make it until the model Y comes out. In the interim I was considering getting a used model S from a third-party or perhaps Tesla, then trading it in for a model Y in the future. I’m looking to minimize total ownership cost and initial outlay. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

It's not a bad idea. I was looking at used Model S just last week. What I can say is remember that Autopilot 1 became available in the later part of 2014. That affects prices. Also be sure to inquire about whether recalls were addressed. Older Model S had motor & battery pack issues. The MCU could also go at any time so you may want to have the ROM chip replaced. There are a number of other recalls to consider depending on the VIN range.

All things considered you can find a decent one for anywhere from $33K - $40K if you shop around. If you want to avoid all that hassle, you could settle for a used SR+ Model 3 perhaps.

M.3 SR+ vote also here.
I just don't think the MS from 4-5 years ago are as solid as a newer even used M.3.

Also the M.3 will get you the newer tech that will migrate to the MY & make the transition for you seamless.
Sizewise, it will mostly be the same for both Y & 3.

Just my ops.

Reactions: IdaX and PrGrPa
Unfortunately the WORST car you can trade in for a Tesla is -- a Tesla. They don't want you to do that. You will get a really bad offer from them. Tax savings might mitigate the losses some, and buying a used (rather than new) Tesla as a temporary vehicle will also help, certainly.

Buy a used Tesla as a stopgap because you want a used Tesla, not because it is a good idea financially.

Reactions: VQTRVA and whitex
Unfortunately the WORST car you can trade in for a Tesla is -- a Tesla. They don't want you to do that. You will get a really bad offer from them. Tax savings might mitigate the losses some, and buying a used (rather than new) Tesla as a temporary vehicle will also help, certainly.

Buy a used Tesla as a stopgap because you want a used Tesla, not because it is a good idea financially.
very interesting. thanks! . they were claiming to give me more on my on 100K mile Volvo trade in than I expected. I was thnking a tesla trade in would be even more generous.

• Funny
Reactions: PrGrPa
A used 2014+ S should be reasonably reliable and last an uneventful year or two no problem. You have a full battery and drive unit warranty, and the frequency of the other minor/moderate problems is overblown.

This would be a much wiser total financial consideration vs. a new Model 3, which will suffer steep depreciation in the next couple years.

That said, the right financial decision is far and away to keep your current car.

very interesting. thanks! . they were claiming to give me more on my on 100K mile Volvo trade in than I expected. I was thnking a tesla trade in would be even more generous.
Lol, I recently tried, Tesla offered me $20K less than Audi for my 2015 Tesla. If you buy a new car from a dealer, never pick it up, and try to trade it in the next day, you lose basically the difference between dealer cost and what you paid, since the dealer can just buy a new one for that price. When you do the same with Tesla, you pay the difference between what you lose and manufacturing cost (vs. dealer cost), so a lot more. It's just another "benefit" of Tesla doing direct sales.

Last edited: