Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used Model Y with FSD included - good idea or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to hold on to my current car (which is approaching 200,000 miles) until the Model Y refresh comes out, but now that that's been pushed back to 2025, that may not be an option. Though Tesla offering limited-time FSD transfers for the second time had me thinking: What if I were to buy a used Model Y with the FSD software pre-purchased, hang on to it until the new Model Y finally arrives and all the kinks are worked out (and ideally until it gets HW5), wait until the next FSD transfer promotion, then trade it in? How good or bad of an idea do you think that would be?

If you think it's a decent idea, are there any tips for finding a good deal?

I wanted to hold on to my current car (which is approaching 200,000 miles) until the Model Y refresh comes out, but now that that's been pushed back to 2025, that may not be an option. Though Tesla offering limited-time FSD transfers for the second time had me thinking: What if I were to buy a used Model Y with the FSD software pre-purchased, hang on to it until the new Model Y finally arrives and all the kinks are worked out (and ideally until it gets HW5), wait until the next FSD transfer promotion, then trade it in? How good or bad of an idea do you think that would be?

If you think it's a decent idea, are there any tips for finding a good deal?

If hw5 will be that good, it'll cost $100,000 to buy just the FSD.

• Funny
Reactions: Kimmi
You don’t know if there will a future FSD promotion or exactly when a new Y will be available, so I would go for it now. The current Y is a sweet spot, because unlike other models, it has both HW4 and the old wheel and stalks. The new Y, whenever it cones out, will not.

Reactions: Midpack
You don’t know if there will a future FSD promotion or exactly when a new Y will be available, so I would go for it now. The current Y is a sweet spot, because unlike other models, it has both HW4 and the old wheel and stalks. The new Y, whenever it cones out, will not.
+1. There's certainly no guarantee there will be future FSD promotions. Will depend on future demand, an unknown.

+1. There's certainly no guarantee there will be future FSD promotions. Will depend on future demand, an unknown.
At the very least, if newer hardware proves to be necessary for unsupervised self driving, Tesla would be under a lot of pressure to open up FSD transfers again. Or I could just hold on to this car until I could get a similar deal on a used HW4/HW5 car.

Reactions: DanCar