Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to expect for residential electric usage increase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering a solar system for my home. I have sized it for existing electricity usage, but have not yet received my Model 3, which will increase usage. I expect I'll drive 6-8K miles per year, charging almost exclusively at the house with a NEMA 14-50 plug. What is a reasonable increase I should expect in terms of KW hours used?

Just a quick estimate would be 2000 kWh per year. (8000 miles/4 miles per kWh)

If you have a new car, Xcel will let you estimate up to 3000 kWh per year when sizing your solar system. I would suggest you go with the 3000 kWh. They will also let you cover your past year's usage at 120%. We just went through the process and had to get back and forth a couple times and provide proof that we needed the size of the solar system we just had installed.

Feel free to ask any questions or stop by if you want to check out our new system the next time you are in the Denver area!

BTW, if you have another company, the limitations could be very different. I've heard IREA isn't nearly as solar friendly.

Last edited:
Just a quick estimate would be 2000 kWh per year. (8000 miles/4 miles per kWh)

If you have a new car, Xcel will let you estimate up to 3000 kWh per year when sizing your solar system. I would suggest you go with the 3000 kWh. They will also let you cover your past year's usage at 120%. We just went through the process and had to get back and forth a couple times and provide proof that we needed the size of the solar system we just had installed.

Feel free to ask any questions or stop by if you want to check out our new system the next time you are in the Denver area!

BTW, if you have another company, the limitations could be very different. I've heard IREA isn't nearly as solar friendly.
Thanks - That's awesome. In Colorado Springs, we use Colorado Springs Utilities vs Xcel. This is very helpful!

Here's my data on a single charge from TesaFi (I dont usually charge to 90%) and from my solar system data
tesla.PNG
IMG-0260.png