Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to look for upon delivery and tax questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post, so I hope my etiquette is appropriate. I've searched for this information and cannot find.
My MY's latest delivery estimate is sometime between 9/22 and 10/27. Ordered in Oct 21.
I am in New Orleans and I will be picking the MY up in Memphis.
1) I've read and youtubed that quality control has been an issue for newly delivered Teslas. I've also read that much improvement has been made there.
When taking delivery what should I look for that can be remedied before driving away? Is there a checklist of the common QC issues?

2) If trading in my non Tesla current car through Tesla, does their offered price for the trade come off of the top on the MY's price and then taxes are paid on the balance?
Put another way, if the MY is 60,000 and the trade in is 10,000, would I pay taxes on the difference, ie 50k, or on the full 60k selling price?

3) As I am taking delivery in another state, Tennessee, do I have to pay taxes at all upon delivery or can that be delayed until I am registering the car in Louisiana?

Thanks for any insight. Much appreciated.
John

First post, so I hope my etiquette is appropriate. I've searched for this information and cannot find.
My MY's latest delivery estimate is sometime between 9/22 and 10/27. Ordered in Oct 21.
I am in New Orleans and I will be picking the MY up in Memphis.
1) I've read and youtubed that quality control has been an issue for newly delivered Teslas. I've also read that much improvement has been made there.
When taking delivery what should I look for that can be remedied before driving away? Is there a checklist of the common QC issues?

2) If trading in my non Tesla current car through Tesla, does their offered price for the trade come off of the top on the MY's price and then taxes are paid on the balance?
Y
Tomorrow will be one month since taking delivery of my Model Y. I found my vehicle to be perfect. I am enclosing/attaching/pasting my checklist which I compiled from someone else earlier on this site. I cannot remember who it was. Thus far I have driven 777 miles and spent $52 for 292kWh of charging mostly at home in my garage using the gen 3 HPWC that is set to begin charging every night at midnight. Here in NJ there is no sales tax on EV's and NJ PSE&G offers a $1500 rebate to cover the installation cost of a EV charger. You may want to consider checking with your local DMV to answer how to register a vehicle that you purchase out of state. Also contact your insurance company to give them your VIN number so you are not driving uninsured.
Don't worry, be happy.

The site for some reason will not allow me to attach my word document even though I tried converting it to a txt file.
So here it is!
  • Pillars check all
  • Panel gaps
  • Trim gaps alignment issues
  • Scratches on windows check that all windows go down with doors open and closed
  • Taillight fitment Make sure they are seated correctly
  • Headlight fitment
  • Door handles all four doors
  • Liftgate possible trim catches
  • Closing the frunk No dents
  • Check all four wheels no scratches
  • Check for missing tow hook
  • Charging cables
  • Cargo covers
  • Back seats fold all seven of them
  • Back seat covers
  • Check all USB C ports Check 12v charge port
  • Check that seats are not scuffed
  • Center console and screen
  • Check both front seats for proper movement
  • Floor mats
  • Wireless Charging
  • Headliner and clothes hooks
  • Windshield
  • Steering wheel no scratches
  • Check charging all ports
  • Glove box
  • Backup camera
  • Sound system
  • Mirrors fold
  • All lights
  • Turn signals
  • Wipers and washer Wipers not rubbing
  • VIN Matches
  • Correct color
  • License Plate mount
  • Registration
  • J1772
  • Software version
  • No condensation in any lights
  • Inspect glass roof
  • Tow Hooks
  • Key Cards
  • Fobs
  • Bluetooth Test from IPhone
  • Test all lights inside and out
  • Turn signals
  • High Beam
  • Brakes and brake lights
  • Fog lights
  • Side mirrors adjust both sides
  • Headliner
  • Floor mats
  • Check all seats folding and adjusts back and forth
  • AC full blast
  • Heat
  • Dome lights
  • Footwell
  • Phone test
  • Navigation
I found nothing wrong with mine :)
Good luck with yours.

Use the checklist that folks have shared above. Ours had a few issues but we are taking the gamble with the service center in hopes that they can find a satisfactory solution to each one.

At the end of the day is about your comfort level and the luck of the draw. Good luck