TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What wheel lugs does the Roadster use?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by MileHighMotoring, May 29, 2016.

1. MileHighMotoring

My Roadster has been in the service center all week for it's annual service, and I got a call last night that I had forgotten to provide them the wheel lock key! So I'm running down there Tuesday morning with that. My previous cars with locks, the dealers always had the keys and never needed my wheel lock so it slipped my mind.

I think it's unnecessary to have these locks so I'd like to bring them 4 regular wheel lugs to replace them with, but I don't know the specs. I'm thinking of just running to O'Reilly Auto Parts (or similar) if someone knows the precise wheel lug specs, I've got a 2010 Base model with the base wheels.

Thanks!.

2. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Aftermarket Wheel Sets now available

Otis is likely the only and best source for proper OEM (Bimecc) lugs. Always be sure to keep the same number of turns into the hub as stock, or else buy lugs with the extra thread length. Otis has them or can get them quickly. Yeah, the locks are a real nuisance.
    --

3. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

You can just have them remove the keyed lock and have them replace with a torx lug instead, you just need the torx adapter. When I lost my wheel lock key Tesla had the master key for all the wheel locks. They drove to my work, gave me the keys which I found the right adapter, removed the keyed lug, and replaced it with a torx stud which they provided me free of charge.

I ended up replacing all my lugs with the standard hex lugs.

There's a thread on TMC that discusses which BMW lugs cross over.

4. MileHighMotoring

Hmm, I was hoping it was somewhat standard, I guess not. I'll see if maybe Tesla have 4 in stock they can sell me to replace the locking lugs with standard hex as you said.

5. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

Better yet buy a BMW retrofit stud kit that has 17mm nuts and get rid of the annoying bolts once and for all.