Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's it really like to own a Tesla in New England?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I went tire kicking in Dedham on a work trip and inquired about a used Model X that was at that location. I had heard that they are actually stored off site and this turned out to be true. So I was unable to even look at the car, let alone get a test drive. I was told that the first time I would see it would be when signing the paperwork.... in NY! And without a test drive. Do they not ship used cars for home delivery? The sales people in Dedham were nice enough but I am definitely not going to buy a $60k car without a test drive. I would want to go over the car and look for all the problem areas mentioned on these boards, and I am definitely not driving 6 hours to be told they will "fix it" and drive 6 hours back.

Edit: And yes, I do realize that the MA sales tax issue is the root problem for delivery.
Ii have my Model 3 over a year and a half. I bought it without ever seeing or touching a Model 3. I put my reservation in and waited. When I picked it up it was the 1st time to see it, no test drive. The best car I ever bought or drove in. I’m 75 and it is a thrill every time I get behind the wheel. LOVE MY MODEL 3.

Reactions: JWardell
New England is a big place. If you live in MA or Southern NH and can get to a service center it isn't bad.

Be prepared for the following in winter months:

Estimated range cut almost in half
Doors won’t open
Windows won’t open
Door handles won’t present (if model S)

They drive great in the snow though.

Edit: I don’t know what other posters are talking about. Frameless windows are a nightmare in the winter.
I've just been thru my first winter with my M3 Long Range. I don't have a garage so it stays outside and is charged outside too. I live just below the VT border and we've had plenty of snow, sleet and freezing rain this winter. Yes, my range has been reduced - maybe about 33% but no more than that. But I have had zero problems with doors & windows not opening, charge ports not opening or door handles freezing. I have owned two Jeep Grand Cherokees and the M3 handles just as well in the snow as they did. So, don't let winter scare you off of buying a Tesla, unless you drive more than 200 miles each and every day