Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best way to secure a laptop plus other valuables in the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only negative thing is by the time it goes off, I've likely lost my bag of toys by then...

Jumping in late here, but are you sure that either the frunk or the footwell area is even large enough for all the gear you want to store there? I'm presuming that you have some rather large telephoto lenses along with your drone. When you add protective cases for those plus the drone and your laptop, I doubt you could fit them all in the frunk of a recent Model S.
If you put them in the footwell you'd also want some padding to keep them from rolling around while you're driving and that's going to take even more room.

In my previous vehicle, Mercedes GLC Coupe, there was a lockable door for the equivalent of the rear footwell. As was mentioned, it wasn't much more than a hinge and a cam lock, but it served exactly this purpose since it had a similar hatch and that and the glove compartment were the only places to store anything of value that needed the full key (not the valet key) to unlock. I'm finding that idea more and more interesting, and it's probably a very easy mod. It wouldn't stop a determined criminal, but would keep things out of view, and under an all weather mat, wouldn't even be a consideration for a criminal to waste their time digging around. Truthfully, even without the mat, I doubt a criminal would spend much time trying to find hidden compartments.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Jumping in late here, but are you sure that either the frunk or the footwell area is even large enough for all the gear you want to store there? I'm presuming that you have some rather large telephoto lenses along with your drone. When you add protective cases for those plus the drone and your laptop, I doubt you could fit them all in the frunk of a recent Model S.
If you put them in the footwell you'd also want some padding to keep them from rolling around while you're driving and that's going to take even more room.

The foot well area or the frunk will definitely fit it all. I can actually carry it all if I really had to but I'm looking for a way to leave some of this stuff in the car that would at least provide some level of protection from a casual smash and grab. I know if someone is determined enough they will get to it and that is fine.

Basically I have a couple of full frame cameras, 3 lenses, a laptop, and some other electronic gear and they all fit in one bag. Just looking for a "safe enough" place in the car to leave everything that would provide as much protection as the trunk of a typical sedan.

Last edited:
In my previous vehicle, Mercedes GLC Coupe, there was a lockable door for the equivalent of the rear footwell. As was mentioned, it wasn't much more than a hinge and a cam lock, but it served exactly this purpose since it had a similar hatch and that and the glove compartment were the only places to store anything of value that needed the full key (not the valet key) to unlock. I'm finding that idea more and more interesting, and it's probably a very easy mod. It wouldn't stop a determined criminal, but would keep things out of view, and under an all weather mat, wouldn't even be a consideration for a criminal to waste their time digging around. Truthfully, even without the mat, I doubt a criminal would spend much time trying to find hidden compartments.

This is exactly what I'm looking for!

And I agree completely that chances are quite good that anyone who breaks into the car will not be wasting their time looking for hidden compartments so a lockable cover with a carpet/mat above it will likely be good enough.

The only additional layer to then add would be perhaps purchasing the Tesla High Security update that if I understand correctly will sound an alarm if someone breaks in.

Another option (came to me based on a pervious comment) is to look into locking gun cases. While it's probably overkill to try and weld one to the frame, just finding one that can fit in that compartment would provide the locking and wouldn't require any mods. Since there are a number of different sizes and shapes of firearms, there are a lot of different options out there. On top of that, many of them come with the same type of foam protection that is used for transporting electronics. Just a thought.

• Informative
Tesla High Security update that if I understand correctly will sound an alarm if someone breaks in.
Wait, so if someone breaks a window the alarm won't go off unless you buy/install the new part/sensor from Tesla?

Another option (came to me based on a pervious comment) is to look into locking gun cases. While it's probably overkill to try and weld one to the frame, just finding one that can fit in that compartment would provide the locking and wouldn't require any mods. Since there are a number of different sizes and shapes of firearms, there are a lot of different options out there. On top of that, many of them come with the same type of foam protection that is used for transporting electronics. Just a thought.
What's to prevent the thief from just taking the locked case and opening it later?

Wait, so if someone breaks a window the alarm won't go off unless you buy/install the new part/sensor from Tesla?

What's to prevent the thief from just taking the locked case and opening it later?

They could but it’s not very discreet and they’re quite heavy for just carrying around. That also assumes they find it and also that they’re willing to risk that it’s worth more than the effort of unlocking it. More likely another target is easier. As with all locks, the goal is not to keep people out but to be less enticing than the next person’s valuables.

I expect that thieves would prefer finding firearms in a locked firearm storage box instead of camera gear. You might as well label the box with the camera brand logo to ensure that is left behind.

Instead of locking the trunk storage area under the floor install a fat bicycle cable lock to a steel ammo box. I doubt that they will have a cable cutter with them.

This SF bay area problem may need a little creative help to discourage those thieves. When I was a growing up in Alabama there was a story that was regularly told when sitting around the drinking tree.

Someone had left a pick'em up truck parked in a Walmart lot with a small wooden crate in the back - unsecured. A couple of what we called "good old boys" were seen driving in circles around the pick up. Finally they stopped beside the pickup and helped themselves to the crate. They commenced to slide it in the back seat of their sedan and skedaddled. They got 'bout a quarter mile down the road and we could see the tires smoking and brake lights come on as the car came to a screeching halt. Both front doors flew open and out jumped the two good old boys headed away from that car fast as they could. In less than a second, we could see a small bobcat leap out the right side and begin chasing the passenger.

Maybe someone in SF might want to leave their pet rattlesnake in a box or laptop bag in the back of their car and a back window down.

I expect that thieves would prefer finding firearms in a locked firearm storage box instead of camera gear. You might as well label the box with the camera brand logo to ensure that is left behind.

Instead of locking the trunk storage area under the floor install a fat bicycle cable lock to a steel ammo box. I doubt that they will have a cable cutter with them.

How about I put a label on the box that says:

Philadelphia Zoo: Live Animals - Venomous Snake Exhibit EG12-48
In case of bite, administer antivenom immediately: Polyvalent crotalid antivenin

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki