Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your AVERAGE 10%-80% time? (SCV2, pre-uncorked)

What's your AVERAGE 10%-80% time? (SCV2, pre-uncorked)

• Less than 35min

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 36-40min

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 41-45min

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • 46-50min

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 51-55min

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 55-60min

• More than 60min

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering to buy a Model 3.
Because living in an apartment, time spent on supercharging is an important factor for me.

I asked few owners I met. They didn't have average time in mind.
Most YouTube videos only show "best cases."
The best one I've seen is 36m42s.

I am curious about how many minutes 10%-80% ACTUALLY took. (rather than the advertised 30min)
Can you share your experience of AVERAGE time for 10%-80%?

The results are dependent on whether you have access to only an Urban Supercharger (72kW) or a normal Supercharger (120-150kW). Also, I'll say the "pre-uncorked" durations are less relevant now as the recent addition of On-Route Battery Warmup changes the charging dynamic considerably. Per Tesla's V3 blog post, it alone reduces the average charge time by 25%.
average-time-charging.jpg

Make sure your local superchargers aren’t crowded. In Southern California you can wait half an hour before you even start charging. Also the fast charging times are only possible when there is no one in the paired stall.
Personally I would not recommend getting an EV unless you have home or work charging.

Reactions: eprosenx
Because living in an apartment, time spent on supercharging is an important factor for me.

I am curious about how many minutes 10%-80% ACTUALLY took. (rather than the advertised 30min)
I’d get s hybrid lol. I’d you’re not charging at home or work it’s like having the worst quality gas cars. 40 mins out of your way just to charge.

Plus, imho if you supercharge frequently you’re introducing a lot of heat in your battery on a frequent basis which won’t be too good long term for your cars battery.

I’d get s hybrid lol. I’d you’re not charging at home or work it’s like having the worst quality gas cars. 40 mins out of your way just to charge.

Plus, imho if you supercharge frequently you’re introducing a lot of heat in your battery on a frequent basis which won’t be too good long term for your cars battery.
Thanks for the advice.
Actually I can "sort of" charge at work. It's a parking lot 25min walking from my office.

I am more curious about reality compared with advertise since it's not a cheap purchase.

Thanks for the advice.
Actually I can "sort of" charge at work. It's a parking lot 25min walking from my office.

I am more curious about reality compared with advertise since it's not a cheap purchase.
The reality is that owning an EV without having a good place to charge is not worth the trouble IMHO.
I charged from 10% to 76% in 36 minutes BUT I had to wait 30 minutes in line to get a spot! Maybe I’m just unlucky but I’ve had to wait at superchargers about a third of the time and I’m not even trying to use the popular ones that are full of “locals”. I’m very happy I have charging at home.
And I only got that fast time because I was paired with a broken stall, another very common problem with the supercharger network. Broken stalls do not show up as occupied in the nav system so it is very difficult to know if the supercharger you are going to is full or not.

Reactions: rhaekar
I look at the supercharges usage on my Model 3 map around the Santa Monica area, Culver City area in LA and they are packed! Even at night. I'm guessing its people living in apartments. That's such a pain in the butt to actually wait in line for 20 mins or more just to charge another 20-40 minutes. No thank you, give me a polluting car lol

I look at the supercharges usage on my Model 3 map around the Santa Monica area, Culver City area in LA and they are packed! Even at night. I'm guessing its people living in apartments. That's such a pain in the butt to actually wait in line for 20 mins or more just to charge another 20-40 minutes. No thank you, give me a polluting car lol
It's also way worse than "waiting in line." There is not always a clear line so it can be stressful trying to figure out who gets the next open spot. At least you get to commiserate with other Tesla owners :D

The problem is that there are supercharging situations where your time to charge will be longer due to crowded supercharger, supercharger not putting out full power, cold car...etc. Ideally with a 120kw charger you are looking at about 34-36min as best case for 10-80%. It can go longer than that VERY easily for the reasons I already mentioned.

• Informative
Reactions: EvanLin
The problem is that there are supercharging situations where your time to charge will be longer due to crowded supercharger, supercharger not putting out full power, cold car...etc. Ideally with a 120kw charger you are looking at about 34-36min as best case for 10-80%. It can go longer than that VERY easily for the reasons I already mentioned.
That's exactly what I heard from current owners!

It's the reason I held this poll. To get a practical answer.