Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel "upgrade" ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla just sent this note:

Your Model Y order has been upgraded to the 19" Dark Gemini Wheel option at no additional cost. If you have questions, contact your local Tesla location.

I saw a note saying range is lower with those wheels: is less range an "upgrade"? Is there some advantage (ride, braking, safety) to the "upgrade" wheels?

And doesn't the larger wheel affect ride height?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I was personally thrilled to get this update last night. They are identical (no lost range) as the lighter wheels and IMO look way better but I didn't find the need to spend $500 on the upgrade when I good easily slap TESPLUS black wheel covers on for a fraction of the cost and get the same look. I'll take it! My estimated delivery has been stuck on June 8 to 22nd for a couple of weeks. Hoping it's on the earlier side.

Reactions: Park2670
What clearly happened here...
Telsa is no longer making the silver Gemini wheels ; they have replaced them with the darker version of the same wheel. Both the inside rim and the wheel covers are the darker color now. Same as they have had in China for the past 6 months or more. The range should be identical, it is the same product just a different color now (which I think looks better).

If your order was able to be fulfilled by an already made and existing car ; you got Silver Gemini Wheels if that is what you ordered.
If your car has not been assigned a VIN / has not yet been made you cannot have Silver Gemini Wheels as they no longer exist so you are being "upgraded" to the darker color at no extra charge.

For a very small window of time the dark wheels were $500 extra (couple weeks MAX) during the transition period.
That is over now and the dark wheels do not cost extra.

If you were assigned a VIN with silver wheels which you ordered but not yet delivered they may charge you the $500 if you want to switch as they still do have inventory with Silver Gemini wheels.

Reactions: Honda Convert
What clearly happened here...
Telsa is no longer making the silver Gemini wheels ; they have replaced them with the darker version of the same wheel. Both the inside rim and the wheel covers are the darker color now. Same as they have had in China for the past 6 months or more. The range should be identical, it is the same product just a different color now (which I think looks better).

If your order was able to be fulfilled by an already made and existing car ; you got Silver Gemini Wheels if that is what you ordered.
If your car has not been assigned a VIN / has not yet been made you cannot have Silver Gemini Wheels as they no longer exist so you are being "upgraded" to the darker color at no extra charge.

For a very small window of time the dark wheels were $500 extra (couple weeks MAX) during the transition period.
That is over now and the dark wheels do not cost extra.

If you were assigned a VIN with silver wheels which you ordered but not yet delivered they may charge you the $500 if you want to switch as they still do have inventory with Silver Gemini wheels.
Woo hoo! I feel special now that the car I'm picking up tomorrow is no longer available! It must therefore be considered a harder to get limited edition, increasing it's trade value when the time comes 🤣