Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When can we finally enjoy Matrix Headlight working as other cars do???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When can we finally enjoy matrix headlight working properly? It is just switching full high beam or low beam. That is not right, after 4 years IMHO.
Even our old VW Passat uses the matrix headlight properly by covering the areas when and where cars approaching in front but keeping the high beam on the other areas.
I expected more from a software oriented manufacturer. Deeply disappointed on that matter.

When can we finally enjoy matrix headlight working properly? It is just switching full high beam or low beam. That is not right, after 4 years IMHO.
Even our old VW Passat uses the matrix headlight properly by covering the areas when and where cars approaching in front but keeping the high beam on the other areas.
I expected more from a software oriented manufacturer. Deeply disappointed on that matter.
This was the most disappointing thing in my new MSP as it is not fixed by the warranty like the bad tailgate&door fitting.

I’ve enjoyed the benefits of advanced matrix lights in my previous two European cars; they significantly outperform in simultaneously shadowing both oncoming vehicles and those traveling in the same direction. While driving on a B-road behind another vehicle, European matrix lights would allow me to use the high beam constantly, shadowing only the car in front. Consequently, the sides of the road remain well-illuminated despite another car leading the way.

Regrettably, it seems that Tesla has merely integrated some form of contemporary matrix-LED hardware, utilizing it primarily for show-off mode, neglecting the actual safety features inherent to advanced lighting systems. I can’t believe it.

Upvote 0
Regrettably, it seems that Tesla has merely integrated some form of contemporary matrix-LED hardware, utilizing it primarily for show-off mode, neglecting the actual safety features inherent to advanced lighting systems. I can’t believe it.
They may have done it because a single hardware version of matrix type ("Global" on Model 3 or Y) headlamps can be set up in software for different regulatory environments relating to beam pattern (LHD vs RHD, ECE vs US DOT), saving costs and reducing errors at assembly time compared to having different headlamp hardware for different markets.

But it seems that they never got around to adding the selective high/low beam functionality for portions of the headlamp (versus all high or all low) that matrix type headlamps could allow with software. Now that the Highland refresh of the Model 3 will have different headlamps, the likelihood of such functionality for the old Model 3 Global headlamps becomes less.

Upvote 0