Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will a ~400-mile Roadster pack become available from Tesla?

When will a ~400 mile Roadster pack upgrade become available?

• by the end of 2014

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • by the end of 2015

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • just before the Gigafactory (2016-2017)

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • NOT before the Gigafactory

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • The 1st of Never

Votes: 10 12.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if Roadster owners will be the test subjects of the Model III battery. That would be a smart move to get some good real world testing miles on the battery for the gigafactory. I'm certain that Panasonic can make them at their regular factory too.

ecarfan, my point is also that he should not open up his mouth prior to speaking to his engineering teams. Tesla stock dipped when Model X production was pushed back. A leader needs to consult the troops

I take your point. I am only guessing that when he made his Roadster announcement he had not consulted with Tesla engineering. Others have guessed the same. We could be wrong. But it seems like sometimes his public statements get ahead of engineering development. He could be more disciplined but I usually like his "out there" style :). It's kind of refreshing.

I take your point. I am only guessing that when he made his Roadster announcement he had not consulted with Tesla engineering. Others have guessed the same. We could be wrong. But it seems like sometimes his public statements get ahead of engineering development. He could be more disciplined but I usually like his "out there" style :). It's kind of refreshing.

...and I believe the "something special for Roadster owners in 2014" comment was made at the 2013 owner's convention, while the 400 mile battery back was quoted in an interview in the summer of 2014?

I see TOBASH's point, but the original Roadster was not only delayed, but the price was increased. I think the Model S was originally supposed to be released in late 2010, but first deliveries were in 6/2012?

Point is - despite the original promises and subsequent delays, both models have done or are doing pretty well. The stock price went from $17 at the IPO to $200-whatever it is now. Tesla as a company continues to grow so I don't think the delays are that harmful. Elon is still mostly revered.

As Roadster owners, I certainly want to know what the surprise is and if it is indeed the 400 mile pack, I want all the details so I can budget and try to afford it. It will come eventually, especially since they already sold battery replacements plans. I just hope there isn't an owner out there who really needs a new battery but can't buy an old or new one. I haven't voted until now, but my guess is this will be announced by the end of 2015.

I think it is strange that that Henry works hard and without personal profit and yet everyone pushes him to release his product (ie.: the Can II). Henry works for nothing, even losing money in the process. Heaven forbid someone do the same to billionaire Elon. He made a statement. He needs to follow up on that statement. Instead of playing games and making coy statements Mr. Musk should just be open and frank and divulge his plans for the Roadsters.

To be fair I made a little money on Can JR and intended to make something on Can SR but it's not quite working out that way. I have no regrets. In any case I think Elon needs to be more careful about promises but I cut him a lot of slack. He's spent much of his life making promises that everybody just laughed at until he delivered, so he might be used to "nobody listening" when he says he's going to do something. He's not quite used to the new world he's in. I also think they are being smart about managing priorities. Most of us are like Bonnie in that we don't need a new pack right away (sorry spaceballs - haven't forgotten you!). Model X production is more important in the short term. Long term I won't let Elon forget the 400 mi pack!

I'm wondering if Roadster owners will be the test subjects of the Model III battery. That would be a smart move to get some good real world testing miles on the battery for the gigafactory. I'm certain that Panasonic can make them at their regular factory too.

Interesting idea, and it makes a lot of sense. Energy storage density for the Gigafactory cells are some 80% greater than the cells used in the original Roadster packs, so that would mean about 440 ideal range miles, or about 400 miles under the EPA's latest 5-stage test. Assuming the engineers move to the same cluster-cell approach used in the Model S pack (as opposed to isolating each cell like the original Roadster pack does), they can probably save enough weight in the structure to almost fully offset the added weight of the Gigafactory cells.