TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where to get an decent sim card for OVMS?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by xytor, Mar 19, 2016.

1. xytor

xytor Roadster #221

I have OVMS but no longer have a sim card for it. H20 randomly deactivated my sim card, so I don't want to use them, and TMobile doesn't have a plan cheaper than $40/mo that has data.
    Is there any company (that operates in Seattle) that provides a small amount of cheap data/text for the OVMS to work properly?

2. Panicopticon

Panicopticon Member

A bit off topic, but any indication as to why H2O deactivated you? I've been on them for a few months now, since the ATT prepaid debacle...

3. xytor

xytor Roadster #221

I thought H2O used the ATT network? Anyway, the problem isn't that they deactivated me (as I had forgotten to refill it for a month or two). The problem is that they took away my phone number and made it imossible for me to reactivate that sim card, so I'd need to get another one. That's what made me mad.

4. Panicopticon

Panicopticon Member

Reasonable to be upset about that.

I was asking because I was wondering if H2O was doing something similar to what ATT's GoPhone service did a few months back to OVMS users (forced us to high rate plans) -- which it appears they're not (yet). You're correct, H2O does use ATT's network.

5. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I have been using H2O for about 9 months and have been pleased. The only quirk I have had is it seemed to stop working twice and in both times my balance was low like under $5. I added a little more and it responded back.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I got a T-mobile SIM for my OVMS. I think it's $10/month for way more data then it could every possibly need.

7. Adrian Cockcroft

My ATT paygo is not working well, annoying to keep topped up and costing $25+$5 for data per month. I'd like to switch to Particle's service which looks ideal to me, but they are still in beta
    Cellular connectivity for the Internet of Things