Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which part of the 14-50 plug am I supposed to leave in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
people were advising that I should generally leave the 14-50 adapter plugged in? Which part? Just the short little cord and unplug it from the long Tesla cord or the whole Tesla cord and adapter? If just the short cord, isn’t it dangerous to leave a plugged in open cord just hanging there? It was very hard to get the 14-50 adapter plugged in to the wall. Would like to avoid unplugging it to the extent possible!

people were advising that I should generally leave the 14-50 adapter plugged in? Which part? Just the short little cord and unplug it from the long Tesla cord or the whole Tesla cord and adapter? If just the short cord, isn’t it dangerous to leave a plugged in open cord just hanging there? It was very hard to get the 14-50 adapter plugged in to the wall. Would like to avoid unplugging it to the extent possible!

Leaving just the stub plugged in does sound dangerous. I think the general suggestion is to leave the whole EVSE connected where feasible.

What you're probably seeing is folks commenting that 14-50 outlets aren't really designed for daily plugging and unplugging. That would be referring to the pinch between the 14-50 plug and socket themselves.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yup, leave the whole Gen II MC (mobile connector) and adapter plugged in.

It is fine for the brick to get warm, but not so hot that you can’t touch it. If you are still concerned about the temp of the brick, you can take it to a service center and have them test it for you and/or you can open your charge window on your touchscreen and manually reduce the amperage draw by 5-10 amps which will reduce the temp a bit. Please insure that the increased new longer time to charge your car to 70, 80, or 90%, (which ever you choose) will give you enough time to charge before your next EV trip. Good luck!

Thank you for replying! I was getting stressed and considering unplugging before bed. I think I’m ok. It’s very warm to the touch but from your reply and reading online I think I am ok leaving it plugged in. The outlet itself isn’t warm at all. And I can hold on to adapter. The rest is about the temp where if it were a heating pad I would keep it on top of me but would burn me if I laid on it. I know. Totally scientific measurement!

Reactions: linkster